Im 6 days in, my airlock has stoped bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit of a newbie, but I would test final gravity and see if it changes after a few days. Not sure on Cider though...is that what you made?

Too many variables.

Temp. OG. Yeast strain. Yeast viability and amount of yeast pitched.

Only your hydrometer can tell you. But you should wait at least 14 days. Just because the yeasties are done off gassing CO2 does not mean they are done working to clean up the mess.

RDWHAHB

If your yeast is able to ferment at a higher temperature, and you allowed it to ferment at the recommended temperature, it is possible that you just had a very quick fermentation. If this is the case, then your yeast could be dead because of high alcohol content, or there are no fermentables left for the yeast to eat. One way to check, is by taking a hydrometer reading and subtracting it from your original reading, then multiplying it by 131. That will give you an estimated percentage of ABV. For example (if you took measurements at 60 degrees F):

1.060 - 0.995 = 0.065 * 131 = 8.515% ABV

Now if you're using a yeast with an alcohol tolerance of 5-10% then you could assume that either the yeast has died off because of high alcohol content, or because your final gravity reading is low, that there are no fermentables left.

If your FG were 1.020:

1.060 - 1.020 = 0.040 * 131 = 5.24% ABV

Although your yeast would be rated at 5-10%, 5.24% is on the low end of the scale and is a bit suspect. At this point it would look like a stuck fermentation. You could either accept the cider as a low alcohol, naturally sweet hard cider...or you could try to restart the fermentation process.

It would help us help you if you added a bit of substance to your forum posts. That is, unless you'd rather have us reply:

"idk y dont u try restart mayb"

If your yeast is able to ferment at a higher temperature, and you allowed it to ferment at the recommended temperature, it is possible that you just had a very quick fermentation. If this is the case, then your yeast could be dead because of high alcohol content, or there are no fermentables left for the yeast to eat. One way to check, is by taking a hydrometer reading and subtracting it from your original reading, then multiplying it by 131. That will give you an estimated percentage of ABV. For example (if you took measurements at 60 degrees F):

1.060 - 0.995 = 0.065 * 131 = 8.515% ABV

Now if you're using a yeast with an alcohol tolerance of 5-10% then you could assume that either the yeast has died off because of high alcohol content, or because your final gravity reading is low, that there are no fermentables left.

If your FG were 1.020:

1.060 - 1.020 = 0.040 * 131 = 5.24% ABV

Although your yeast would be rated at 5-10%, 5.24% is on the low end of the scale and is a bit suspect. At this point it would look like a stuck fermentation. You could either accept the cider as a low alcohol, naturally sweet hard cider...or you could try to restart the fermentation process.

It would help us help you if you added a bit of substance to your forum posts. That is, unless you'd rather have us reply:

"idk y dont u try restart mayb"
I'm sorry I'm new, i don't have a hydrometer. i used champagne yeast, the temp in the brew closet is 68-75 degrees. i did a piss poor job pitching the yeast, do you think this is to blame?

have not tasted it, waiting for some word. ill add corn sugar, bottle it, and get back to you.:fro:

Don't do that for at least another three weeks. If I didn't have a hydrometer, I wouldn't even think about bottling it for a month.

But you can use a sanitized turkey baster and take out a little taste.

Yes, rack it into another carboy, let it clear some more and keep an eye on it to make sure it is stable. You dont want to go from primary right to bottles without lots of practice first.

If I were you, I would start tasting these in about a week, and if they start gushing get them all in the fridge ASAP. You're probably OK but you dont want to find out the hard way

i use champagne yeast as well i find the airlock stops around 1-1.5 weeks at 70degrees. but after taking a hydrometer reading it still has a good week to go before i think about bottling it.but i also use alot of sugar in mine to boost up the alcohol. hope u didnt make bombs i agree with above keep a good eye on the bottles

Back