propane questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
Does anyone know about how much propane you normally use in one session? also what are some tricks to get more efficiency, I see some people put the burner in a pot, what does that do?

I don't use propane, but logic tells me that one reason they may put it inta a pot, etc., is to deflect heat back up.

I really don't measure efficiancy with my propane, It's brewing I don't really care!!!! The pot that your that you speak of, is a wind guard to keep the wind from effecting the quality of the flame.

Beer Weavel said:
I really don't measure efficiancy with my propane, It's brewing I don't really care!!!! The pot that your that you speak of, is a wind guard to keep the wind from effecting the quality of the flame.

So you don't care about cost? Propane is not that cheap. If it takes half a tank to do a batch we have added a 1/3 of the cost.

Somewhere, the tank has a weight stamped in. They might label it "Tare Weight", or "T". Typical 5 gallon ones are about 18 pounds empty. And take 20 pounds additional if full. But be careful with these new ones with the triangular handle- they have a tip-over valve in them. If they stop burning but feel full, lift it and bonk it on the floor to reset the 'float'. It's one way to get ripped off by exchanging tanks- your trade in may not be empty. I go to the equipment rental place for the best price on refills.

Bigger burners heat faster, so waste less heat. Well tuned burners are more efficient too- blue flame, least yellow. Less soot= less wasted gas.

I have a 5 gallon tank and I can easily get 6 batches out of it. It costs me about 12-14 dollars to fil it. I am an all grainer.

thanks guys, we were a little concerned after this weekend, we appear to have used 8lbs on 1 batch, that included heating sparge water and a 75minute boil. We tried turning the heat down turning the boil, perhaps we can go even lower with it. Still had a very vigorous boil going.

Todd said:
thanks guys, we were a little concerned after this weekend, we appear to have used 8lbs on 1 batch, that included heating sparge water and a 75minute boil. We tried turning the heat down turning the boil, perhaps we can go even lower with it. Still had a very vigorous boil going.
I'm glad you found some answers, but please.....

In the future, try searching the forum. This has been asked dozens of times, and answered.

The true answer is there is no exact answer. What BTU is the burner? Are you doing full or partial boils? Do you do 60 or 90 minute boils? Is it windy or calm? Are you doing AG or extract? All these factors will greatly influence your usage.

I usually get at least 4 out of a tank. And that's with longer boils for higher gravity brews.

Beer Weavel said:

Kinda hard for me to do also.

I use my tank for brewing and for BBQing and I do BBQ a bit. A tank lasts about 3 to 4 brews in addition to my BBQing. I keep a spare around and get it filled vs swapping as the cost is a lot cheaper. But like Beer Weevel said "its
brewing I don't care" I'll have it anyway.

When I've spent about 2 grand and climbing for brewing equipment, I really don't think about the cost of propane. Like Beer Weevel said IT"S BREWING!. In our neck of the woods a 20 lb. tank of propane with tax and license out the door is $11.35 its not the biggest expense of my brew day.:mug:

Back