Pale 2-row and Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjvicker

Reaction score
I've got about 20lbs of Pale 2-row, two oz Saaz, two oz amarillo and two oz glacier. Does anyone have opinions on the brew's below? I've never done a batch without specialty grain.

10lb 2-row
1oz Amarillo 60min
1oz Amarillo 30min
Nottingham Ale Yeast

10lb 2-row
1oz Glacier 60min
1oz Glacier 30min
Nottingham Ale Yeast

They sound ok, but depending on the AA% of your hops, the Amarillo might be on the bitter side. Maybe instead of 30min go 5min or 1min. Also, Notty ferments pretty dry, so I'd mash as high as possible, like 158-160F. Lots of relevant discussion in the SMaSH group.

SMASH - single malt and single hop

For the Amarillo, I'd be tempted to: 1 oz @60, 1/2 @20, 1/2 @ 5

Glacier hops are great for pale ales and bitters. I'd use them for both bittering and flavor additions and use 10# 2-row base and toast 3/4-1# of 2 row on a large cookie sheet in an oven at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. You may be surprised. I'd do a quick 25-30 minute protien rest at 113-122 degrees F, then raise the temp to 150 for 30 minutes, then raise to 156 for 45 minutes, then sparge and boil 75 minutes adding 1oz. of glacier at 60 then 0.75 oz. at 30, and finally 0.25 oz. at 2 minutes- flame out. Rehydrate yeast and ferment at 67-71 degrees for 2 weeks transfer for 2 weeks keg and swill. Just a thought. Good luck!!

Wow, RRBBGG27013 that sounds like a good batch.

I decided to go with 1oz at 60min 1 oz at 5min and 10lb 2-row. Like defenestrate said, if anything I'll get a great idea what the hops will give me.

Wow, RRBBGG27013 that sounds like a good batch.

I decided to go with 1oz at 60min 1 oz at 5min and 10lb 2-row. Like defenestrate said, if anything I'll get a great idea what the hops will give me.

Good deal, I think you should turn out just fine and have a fine brew! Post your results, we're interested to hear how it turns out! :mug:

Back