Crystal Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Quick question. Are Crystal Malts (Caramel Malts) Gluten Free? If not,
how can I make my own?
Andy

Well, from what I can find on the web there isn't any gluten free crystal malt. However, Breiss has sorgham malt that they try to duplicate the effects of crystal with. I would recommend going to the breiss website and searching for sorgham.

:tank:

Check out this BYO article. It covers a lot of stuff. It includes locating GF grain, malting, and toasting sorghum grain and even a recipe.

http://***********/feature/1589.html

Crystal malt is still barley and, therefore, not GF. The only GF grains commonly used in beer brewing (off the top of my head) are corn, rice, and oats. And even oats are a stretch as it contains a "type" of gluten that most celiacs don't respond to, but some do. Sorghum seems to be the standard base grain for GF brewing. For color and flavor, I've heard of some GF brewers using specialty rice (wild, etc.), but that would take some experimentation.

Latest posts

Back