Lets Talk Brewstands AGAIN!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Reaction score
I've been working on this for a couple of months now. I made the plans and purchased the steel and then did all the welding my self. What you see here is a hodge podge of pics that are not in any order. But it does document my process................somewhat. I plan on brewing on this rig friday........That means I still have to get a few things done and do a test run on her before she's ready to go........

struct8.jpg

struct6.jpg

struct3.jpg

struct1.jpg

Dude said:
Rusty....KICK ASS!!!!!

I have loads of questions for you.....but I gotta run right now...keep checking in!

That is freakin' beautiful though!

Thanks for the complement........I'll be around. I'm going back outside to work on the beast some more, but I'll keep checking in..........

looks awesome.. good work.. DIY projects always make you feel good... hehehee... I try to build everything myself, too...

Jester

Jester4176 said:
/drool

And you're selling these for how much plus shipping?

No offence, but I will never build another one. Talk about a pain in the @ss to get everything together.........I've got about $600.00 in this one. I kinda used the one at sabco as my idea. I don't think they sell theirs for $600.00. Next year I'll make the HLT a heat exchanger and start recirc. my mash.

Okay....

1. Where'd ya find the yellow gas lines? Or are the lines copper and that is some kind of electrical wire loom?

2. Have you been able to find any caps that can fit into the holes on the metal? I'm worried about water spilling in those and starting rust.

3. Are you going to mount the shirron or just have it laying on the wood shelf? I am still working that idea. Not that it is a big deal, I just want to stay away from clutter on brew day. Plus it will look nicer mounted somewhere.

4. What is the damage so far? I've got $250 invested in mine, I'll probably have another $50 in the next couple of weeks when I start adding metal shelves.
A new mash-tun is in the works too.

Dude said:
Okay....

1. Where'd ya find the yellow gas lines? Or are the lines copper and that is some kind of electrical wire loom?

They are yellow flex lines from the appliance section at LOWES.......
2. Have you been able to find any caps that can fit into the holes on the metal? I'm worried about water spilling in those and starting rust.

NOPE.......I'm not too worried about it. I know that eventually I'll find something to stuff into them.
3. Are you going to mount the shirron or just have it laying on the wood shelf? I am still working that idea. Not that it is a big deal, I just want to stay away from clutter on brew day. Plus it will look nicer mounted somewhere.

For now I'm not going to mount it. I leave everything on the back deck (right where you see it) and I want to be able to bring the chiller and the pump inside when I'm done.

4. What is the damage so far? I've got $250 invested in mine, I'll probably have another $50 in the next couple of weeks when I start adding metal shelves.

I have not officially added it up yet. I'm figuring about $600.00. But sometime this weekend I'll get a good count. I saved all my recipts so I would know how much everything cost.

A new mash-tun is in the works too.

I'll end up insulating this one, even though I've stuck a burner under it. I don't anticipate having to use that burner much at all.

Rusty said:
I'll end up insulating this one, even though I've stuck a burner under it. I don't anticipate having to use that burner much at all.

If you want some really good fire resistant insulation you could use the water heater insulation they sell at Home Depot. It is too wide so you have to fold it in half, I used 3M spray adhesive to glue it together and I used velcro to wrap it around the mash tun. It holds temps very well....

The nice thing about having a burner is you can heat your hot liquer and the strike water at the same time. You can build a HERMES for raising the mash temps.

mash32.jpg

MM, I have drooled over you HUGE system ever since I first saw it last year. I actually started out desiging something like yours. But I didn't want to buy another ladder............he he:tank:

Monster Mash said:
If you want some really good fire resistant insulation you could use the water heater insulation they sell at Home Depot. It is too wide so you have to fold it in half, I used 3M spray adhesive to glue it together and I used velcro to wrap it around the mash tun. It holds temps very well....

The nice thing about having a burner is you can heat your hot liquer and the strike water at the same time. You can build a HERMES for raising the mash temps.

mash32.jpg

OK, today is the day. I'll be brewing on the new rig for the first time today. I have a amber all planned out. I'll do a trial run with just water so I can figure out my losses and then It's brew time.............I'll take more pics.....

Rusty said:
OK, today is the day. I'll be brewing on the new rig for the first time today. I have a amber all planned out. I'll do a trial run with just water so I can figure out my losses and then It's brew time.............I'll take more pics.....

Definitely! Share the experience!

Good luck!

OK, what ever time it is now.......the first mash is going. ............

I'll have pic's later when I'm done.

OK, I'll have to break this post up into two post since I have six pictures to post.

1. The start of the brew day...............

2. Having one of my ambers to help the brewing process.........

3. Infusion water heating up....

4. The mash temp........

5. The mash.............YUMMY.........

6. Mash Tun cleaned and upside down while the boil is going.......

It was a success.............

Click on the thumbnails to view a larger pic.

Back