Double IPA Columbus/Simcoe/Cascade IIPA (Simple Recipe for beginners)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYdustinj

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP005
Yeast Starter
2 Quarts
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Deep Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 72*F
Tasting Notes
Slightly fruity, but clean. Tons of citrus and starburst aroma, with a hint of pine.
A simple recipe, but one of my favorites as it was my first ever homebrew. A great way to get your feet wet, with excellent results.

Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 160*F. Steep the following grains for 20 mins:

8 oz Caramel Malt 60L
4 oz Carapils

Remove grains and bring to a boil

Then add:

10lbs Golden Light LME
1lbs corn sugar

Boil for 60 mins.

Hop Schedule:

45 min- 2 oz Columbus
15 min- 2 oz Columbus
0 min- 2 oz Simcoe
Dry hop- 2 oz Cascade directly to primary fermenter 10-7 days before bottling.

Simple works IME as well...wow "first ever homebrew" a IIPA. With another ounce of Columbus you could burst that in 15 minutes to make it really simple....hahaha cheers!

The grain bill here....those amounts just seem rather small compared to what I've seen in other brews. Just wanted to make sure that they were accurate and not a typo.

Also, thoughts on subbing 1lb of honey for the corn sugar? Should up the gravity and abv a bit, but I'm curious if it would help impart an additional floral note.

Hello, this thread is 2 y/o lol.

Boiling honey will likely disperse all its aroma, and honey ferments dry. Boiled honey, corn sugar or table sugar will yield similar results in a beer like this. The special malt quantities are low because the OP is also adding 10 lbs lme, which also contains spec malts.

X large beers like this often have very simple grain bills, the OG on this is very high, and LME is not all that fermentable.

A lb of honey is comparable to a lb of CS as far as fermentables, plus minus.

Yeah, I know its an old thread, one of the only partial extract recipes I could find for an IIPA.

Thank you for the response, I truly appreciate your insight.

Back