Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems more like an incomplete sentence than an incorrect sentence.

Post fermentation dryhopping allows the 10% ABV...
ale to be easy drinking.
ale to balance aroma and taste.
etc.

"Post-fermentation dry hopping allows the [beer to achieve] 10% ABV." It's implied. "Allows" could be replaced by "facilitates". It's a complete, incorrect sentence. (Oh crap, I just posted a "Well actually"!)

Keith66 said:
"Post-fermentation dry hopping allows the [beer to achieve] 10% ABV." It's implied. "Allows" could be replaced by "facilitates". It's a complete, incorrect sentence. (Oh crap, I just posted a "Well actually"!)

Except that it was already posted correctly earlier. The previously posted sentence was, in fact, incomplete.

Except that it was already posted correctly earlier. The previously posted sentence was, in fact, incomplete.

Except that the previously posted sentence was not on BEVMO's sign, as posted in this thread. So you're telling me that the sign in this thread is not real? Or is the previously posted sentence not real? Which is it; and how am I supposed to know which one to believe?

Another angle: the previously posted sentence was, in fact, a complete sentence including a subject and predicate. It was supposedly not, however, correctly quoted from the original source, which was also a complete sentence, assuming it was posted correctly.

This isn't funny, and it isn't about beer; let's move on shall we.

This isn't funny, and it isn't about beer; let's move on shall we.

You say that, yet continue to bring it up.

This isnt as funny as it is frustrating. During a tailgate a few weeks ago, I was telling my uncles how I had gotten into homebrewing. One of them, who should know better since he is the CFO for a guy who owns wineries and alcohol distributing companies, continued to insist that HB can kill people. I assured him that infections happen but normally they dont cause any harm. Maybe the occasional sickness but I had never heard of someone dying from HB. I even told him that I had in fact drank some infected beer of mine with nothing more than a bad taste after. He still insisted that it could kill people. Needless to say, he wont be getting any this holiday season.

I assured him that infections happen but normally they dont cause any harm.

You mean never cause any harm. Human pathogens cannot live and reproduce in fermented beer. Wort yes, but not beer. Infected beer may taste nasty at times, but it cannot make you ill.

OK, enough non-funny stuff out of me. Sorry folks. Here's something maybe you can laugh at:

Years ago, before I got into HBing or had any clue about how beer was made, I heard that doppelbocks, traditionally available late in the year, were made using the dregs of beers made earlier in the year. That's why they're so dark and strong (color, flavor and alcohol). Now that I know better, the only grain of possible truth I can think of in that is maybe doppelbocks could be fermented on the yeast cake of a preceding Marzen or something, but that could risk infection. I wish I could go back and correct myself to all the people I told that to. :eek:

Well if we are going to start confessions.....

I used to think, and tell people, that Guinness had meat in it - the whole "they found rats in the old kettles and started putting meat in to recreate the flavor" story...

Whattawort said:
I once liked Bud Ice. Please don't revoke my HB Membership Card. I was in college!!

It's ok buddy I lived on keystone when I was in college

I used to divide all beer into two categories: Dark and Light :smack:

At the time, Yuengling was the darkest I had tried. :eek:

mcspanner said:
I used to categorise beers as light or dark.....

Lol cheesy we were obviously typing that simultaneously.....I grew up drinking Guinness and smithwicks and hated anything light because I thought it had no flavour after trying some American beer at a barbecue.

I
Anyone else want to come forward and confess? We know you're out there, sinners.

Beer Lord, forgive me, for I have sinned.

I used to think that Pilsner and Lager were distinct styles, as well as Ale and Porter.

I used to think that beer was stored in the kegs flat, and carbonated as it was run through the taps like the BIaB sodas. (Makes zero sense, I know).

I used to think that the only difference between dark beer and light beer was how long it was boiled.

I used to think that bitter beer was a bad thing because Keystone ads told me so.

I used to think Budweiser was top-quality beer because it cost more than Keystone, and tasted slightly stronger.

Lol cheesy we were obviously typing that simultaneously.....I grew up drinking Guinness and smithwicks and hated anything light because I thought it had no flavour after trying some American beer at a barbecue.

Haha my family when I was growing up drank BMC stuff. The "dark stuff" was for total badasses

Well, now I don't feel so embarassed. Except for that one time a few weeks ago when I actually ordered a PBR. We were the visiting team in a dive bar and it was either that or really funky bud light draft. They didn't even have liquor.

It was 1986, it was cheap, and it was Rhinelander. Don't remember the taste much, but it reminded me of Lucky Lager (my first taste of beer at 10 or so). Then I "stepped up" to Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve and Blue Boar Ale at home, Redhook ESB, Harp Lager or Bass Ale when I was out. Then I started homebrewing. Ruined me for life.

There we are. Don't you all feel liberated after admitting to your sins and guilty pleasures?

BTW, thanks for all the blackmail material, guys. :D

I used to tell people:
Bud light was better than Coors light
Bud light was better than Budweiser
Bud light in botles was better than Bud light in cans

I was lucky enough to be raised in a brewing family who taught me about good beer when i was young, but i drank a ton of yeungling in highschool/college

Keith66 said:
Mickey's Big Mouth :rockin:

I could carry a sh!tload of Weinhards on my bicycle too.

Me and my buddy's once bought a hundred bucks worth of keystone I pushed a dolly stacked as high as it could hold and friend cared two more cases to the truck

Back