Clementine by Clown Shoes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
This past weekend, we tried Clown Shoes Beer's Clementine, which is a Witbier. My wife loved it and would like me to tried to brew a clone, or at least something similar. Clown Shoes' website says that the beer contains "clementine, sweet orange peel, a hint of Coriander, and Summit hops."

Does anyone have a recipe that may be close to this beer? If not, how do you think the clementine is used--i.e. zest from the rind, juice, etc.? Also, it is my understanding that Summit is primarily a bittering hop. Do you think that it is also used for the flavor and aroma hops in Clementine, or do you think something else is used?

Thanks for any advice or tips you may have.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a yeast on this? Clown Shoes says it uses Chambly yeast. Would Safale T-58 or US-05 get me a closer approximation to Chambly? (I recognize that I might be able to do better with a liquid yeast, but I'd really rather stick with dry due to cost considerations.) Thanks.

I've never made this particular beer, but! My recommendation is just got with a basic wheat or wit wheat recipe then to get the clementine flavor add the actual whole clementine (peeled and pulled apart) into the boil during the last 5-10 min of boil. Also a teaspoon of coriander in the last 5 min of the boil goes a long way. I brewed a clementine flavored tripel using the clementine addition I described and was floored at how much clementine and citrus flavor came through! As for adding good smell to the beer, add some sweet dried clementine or orange peel to the secondary for about a week. Take it or leave it but the clementine in the boil works wonderfully! Cheers and good luck! Glad to see more people going with clementine flavoring

Thanks to both for your advice. I may try to meld the two ideas by using Jamil's recipie and using clementine for the citrus, while adding the sweet orange peel after fermentation has completed. I will also substitute Summit hops (consistent with the Clown Shoes website) for Jamil's hops. I guess I will need to adjust for the fact that Summit is a pretty high AA hop as well.

I prefer Ommegang Witte and Allagash White, in that order. The Clown Shoes uses Summit hops, which taste too much like spring onions to me. I think that choice of Summit hops detracts from the entire wheat characteristics.

Back