Pineapple beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure how a pineapple beer would taste? I am thinking a little too sweet. But, I guess you could do like a pineapple honey pale ale, and go for just some pineapple flavoring. Just go with the same honey pale you already did, and see about either adding fruit to primary or adding extract at the end. I may be mistaken, but pineapple is very acidic and may not be too good in the primary. Maybe? You could also try looking into a pineapple/apple hard cider?

Pineapple mead would probably work well. The acid from the pineapple would balance the sweetness of the mead. I've never seen a pineapple ale, although I'm certain someone, somewhere has done it.

If you use fresh fruit put it in the boil. Fresh pineapple has enzymes that would breakdown the head forming proteins.

I've heard of pineapple ale, but never heard of a good one...
Aren't Amarillo hops supposed to be really pineappley? Or is it Simcoe? Try brewing a really big IPA with loads of late editions of one or both of those hops.

Can you buy pineapple extract? If they make it (I only see imitation when I do a quick google), I'd be inclined to go that route rather than real fruit, just because there are some many enzymes and whathaveyou in real pineapple. Maybe a lighter beer, maybe even a wheat? That could be tasty, with the hops recommended by Cheyco. It would be interesting, at the very least.

I just did up a Pliny tha had a load of Simcoe in it. Ill have to see if I can find a recipe that uses Amarillo Hops.

Im not really a fan of mead or cider, I just personally never liked it as much as beer :)

Anybody have any instructions/tips on boiling in fresh fruit? I cant seem to find a 100% pure pineapple extract anyplace. So Im thinking Im gonna have to go that route.

Thanks in advance,
-=gp125racer=-

Way over 10 years ago I saw a bottle of pinapple beer in a store in Portland. It was made by Star brewery (I think from Texs). They are long since out of business; 'nuff said.

Star made other bad beers, it wasn't just the pineapple. (Actually, I can only say for certain that they made bad beers).

If you find a recipe or work one up, post it with an evaluation of the results.

I'd love to know how this turned out! I'm thinking of incorporating a little bit of pineapple flavor into a new brew...

I worked with a guy that said he made a killer pineapple / lemon beer. He told me that he used no extract, and only used whole fruits.

The sad part is that he got fired before he could bring me in the recipe, and I have absolutely no way of contacting him

sucky...........

I'm guessing that pineapple juice would ferment rather completely, leaving a sour, nasty flavor.

I'd recommend an all Simcoe APA. Simcoe has a very distinct pineapple flavor.

Pineapple extract in a light wheat beer might work, too, but it doesn't appeal to me.

One of the beers I judged in the NW Regionals of the National Homebrew Competition was a Pineapple Coconut Porter. It was surprisingly good. We scored it a 39 overall and advanced it to the second round. Tasted like a chocolate Pina Colada! Sorry, I don't have a recipe.

GO FOR IT!

Sounds, well, interesting. ...But that is why we brew, to push the boundaries of what we know and are comfortable with, to explore new areas and to create the perfect brew. Imagine if Ben and Jerry just made Vanilla?

Decided to resurrect this old thread to see if anyone had attempted a version of a pineapple beer since 2006.. Anyone ever try this? Tips or tricks? My wife has been curious about a pineapple beer and I told her I would look into it. My guess is that the pineapple would indeed ferment completely out and leave behind a nasty, sour taste.. But don't know for sure... Thought?:cross:

I took a wit recipe, added 2 whole ripe pineapples to secondary and used WB-06, made a great pineapple beer. A friend's GF ensured it didn't last more than 2 months. I would suggest adding something like honey malt to recipe to retain a good amount of sweetness behind.

SKA just produced a Pineapple coconut hefe for Durango's winter festival (Snowdown). The theme this year was "life's a beach" so they went with a beachy themed beer. Another of the breweries in town toasted all of the coconut since they have a eatery and SKA does not. Came out really well.

It was called the Hyper Feirce Gnar Gnar Hefe

Funny, I just started thinking about pineapple in beer recently. I was thinking of making a ginger beer and using pineapple to increase the acidity. Thought of it because I was drinking a ginger juice recently that had a great balance to it - turned out the maker had used pineapple to balance the sweetness, the tartness, and up the acid to wash the ginger off the tongue.

I made a Brett C/Lacto beer which tasted just like pineapple juice. This is a modified version of what I did. How does this sound?
60%/40% 2row/wheat (1.05 starting gravity?)
mash high (156F?) for some sweetness
sour mash for 48 hours for acidity
boil with 0.5oz Amarillo (conditions for apricot aroma?) for 60 minutes (20 IBU)
Use a large Brett C starter
Fermentation temperature? Maybe a little high (75F) to accenuate aromas.
WL Brett C doesn't super attenuation (at least in this scenario for me), so the gravity was stable after a couple of weeks. The initial aroma is vomity from the Brett C, and after a couple of weeks it becomes super pineapple, then fades again to mild pineapple.

I have a friend who brewed a very tasty Pineapple Pale. I'm planning on tweaking this some to give it more complexity from grains (I intend to partial mash) and will probably cut back on the cascades some. I'm thinking some honey malt and rye malt too. His recipe:

1# Caramel 40L
5# Lt LME
2 oz Cascade (60 min)
1 oz Hallertauer (45 min)
1 oz Hallertauer (DH)
Belgian Ale Yeast (WLP 550)
5# fresh pineapple in the secondary

Toilet Rocker said:
I have a friend who brewed a very tasty Pineapple Pale. I'm planning on tweaking this some to give it more complexity from grains (I intend to partial mash) and will probably cut back on the cascades some. I'm thinking some honey malt and rye malt too.

My SWMBO has been trying to test me on new brews I can attempt. She said a light summery pineapple beer. This will prob fill the bill. I would defiantly reduce the cascade. I'm feeling some Kent Golding at flame out but that's cause I love that for a flavor hop.

I'm kinda worried about the acidity in the secondary. Any way to remove that? Sugar solution soak? Alcohol soak? Not sure if that made sense.

For the designated crowd, I was planning on a overly sweet beer.

I just made a belgian golden ale and it sure tasted like I put pineapple in there but I did not. It was a combination of the yeast and hops. It turned out very yummy.

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/31/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: BB
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.27 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [3.40 %] (60 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.6 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 oz Citra (0 min)
0.50 oz Citra (dry hop)
1.00 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.09 %
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9.09 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.10 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.79 %
Bitterness: 28.0 IBU Calories: 276 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.1 SRM

I’ve been following this thread for a while now but wanted to see how it turned out before posting. I recently brewed a pineapple coconut wheat that was a huge hit at a local beer festival last weekend. I used a basic wheat recipe with cascade for hops. Primary for about 12 days. Toasted a pound of coconut in the oven for an hour and used steeping bags and dental floss to hold them in the keg for about a week.

For the pineapple flavoring, I cut up 3 whole pineapples and soaked them in half part rum half part water for a week then strained over several days. I added it slowly to get to the taste I wanted and it turned out perfect. For future reference I would probably blend up one pineapple, boil and strain it to save money.

I have a pretty steady supply of fresh pineapple available and want to try using it in beer. Can I just toss the peeled, cored pineapple in to the secondary fermenter, or do I need to do something to it first.

Ended up using the recipe below to making a great IPA. It finished neat, clear, and very crisp. The citrus hop aroma/flavor doesn't linger for too long. ( I suck at describing tastes to others)

I planned on putting real pineapple in the secondary, but after reading a few recipes decided to try extract since it seemed like less of a hassle. So far I've only added any where from 1 to 5 drops to a 8-10 OZ sample and any addition just seems to ruin the flavor of the IPA. Maybe its the alcohol essence but I can't get a good flavor.
I have since bottled a few bottles and added 2 drops to each. I'll try to repost if the flavor mellows out at all, but as of right now I DON'T recommend using the Pineapple extract.

Pineapple Express
Beer Style: American IPA
Recipe Type: Partial Mash

Ingredients
malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
66% 6 0 Light Malt Extract 44 8 ~
23% 3 0 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 38 3 ~
11% 1 0 Rice Extract Syrup 32 0 ~

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.071 / 17.3° Plato
(1.063 to 1.074)
Final Gravity
1.013 / 3.3° Plato
(1.011 to 1.013)
Color
7° SRM / 13° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.0 Cascade Flower Unmeasured
boil 45 mins 1.0 Citra pellet 11.0
boil 30 mins 1.0 Styrian Aurora pellet 8.0
boil 1 min 0.5 Citra pellet 11.0
boil 1 min 0.5 Cascade Flower Unmeasured
dry hop 14 days 0.5 Citra pellet 11.0
dry hop 14 days 0.5 Nugget pellet 13.0
Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
62.0 IBU / 36 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
White Labs Belgian Ale (WLP550) info
ale yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation and 82% attenuation
Alcohol
7.7% ABV / 6% ABW
Calories
232 per 12 oz.

Nicely done!

I just got some Hopslam that came in at the distributor. I cracked one open last night and it was hoppy goodness. Very big citrus/pineapple aroma and flavor. Delish!

1 pineapple
1/2 cup raisins
5 cups sugar
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 1/2 gallons warm water (7 litres)
Directions:

Discard pineapple stalk.
Wash unskinned pineapple well and chop up with skin and all.
Place all ingredients into a large container with a lid and stir to mix well. Cover and leave where it can be undisturbed.
The fermentation will start immediately. Stir twice a day over the next 72 hours. Don't worry - it is supposed to smell like fermented fruit! By the third day this smell will subside to a lovely beery, cidery smell.
Strain through a sieve or cheesecloth and bottle.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-beer-441415?oc=linkback

Back