Ingredient Beer Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
For my first few brews I want to use the packaged kits. I am in the process of using the Pale Ale Kit from "True Brew". Can anyone recommend other kits that seem to be superior. True Brew kits are available in my community, but I can order others online if necessary.
Thanks

People seem to have very good luck with the kits from Austin Homebrew Supply, morebeer.com and Northern Brewer. The advantage of kits from a high-volume retailer like that is that you know the ingredients are super-fresh. LME in a can particularly seems to start tasting like the can (and darkening) after a relatively short amount of storage time.

The kits don't come with yeast--since you apparently have a LHBS, you could even purchase your yeast locally if you want.

I agree with cweston..
Get a kit that is not pre-made with a label on it. Instead, get one that your brew shop puts together.

I've had great luck with the Austin Homebrew kits mentioned by cweston. They usually come with LME in a plastic bucket rather than a can and that is a big plus. They also have really great clone kits for lots of commercial beers.

cweston said:
People seem to have very good luck with the kits from Austin Homebrew Supply, morebeer.com and Northern Brewer. The advantage of kits from a high-volume retailer like that is that you know the ingredients are super-fresh. LME in a can particularly seems to start tasting like the can (and darkening) after a relatively short amount of storage time.

The kits don't come with yeast--since you apparently have a LHBS, you could even purchase your yeast locally if you want.
I gotten kits from both Austin Homebrew Supply and Northern Brewer and both come with yeast. It's optional for the Austin kits and the NB kits come with Wyeast smack packs (I think you can request others).

Both were good. I would recommend either.

Kayos said:
I agree with cweston..
Get a kit that is not pre-made with a label on it. Instead, get one that your brew shop puts together.
I don't know about that. I've had good luck with Brewer's Best kits from a couple of the LHBS. Ofcourse the LHBS said they have to replace their stock nearly weekly and the kits are packaged in the area.
I also like the Midwest kit I purchased. I havn't brewed it yet but the kit appears to be fresh and well put together. I think most of the big online stores sell enough volume to keep fresh supplies for their house brand kits.
Craig

I buy my kits at Midwest mainly because they are close to home. I think they have fresh product and have very clear instructions. The staff there is also helpful if you have any questions. I just brewed one of their kits last night.

Back