MD/DC/PA/DE/NoVA FALL brew day 9/11/2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what's on the glasses? Got the design?

I mentioned to SWMBO that this was happening and told her I was thinking of going. No objection, so I'm planning on it.

Also got a brew day in the works on Sept 3 for my birthday, so that will be two in September! Gotta get the pipline goin'.

Here's the conundrum, do I do the Vanilla Bourbon Porter on 09/03 and the Duvel clone with Y'all on 09/11, or the other way around?

I primary in corny kegs, and have four of 'em, so I can do two eight-gallon batches and split into them. (Easier for transport as well, methinks). But what are the other logistis I need to consider? Are we bringin' spring water or tapping at the location? How about chilling? Logistics seem insane! :)

Logistics are as follows.

I have a whole house filter that I attach in the kitchen for brewing water. You may have to wait for a few minutes while someone else is filling their water needs, but not more than a few minutes at most. I also have 2 hoses outside for multiple chilling stations. As long as we stagger the batches by 15-20 minutes, we probably won't have 2 people using the chillers at the same time. There will be enough chillers there that you don't need to bring one if you don't want to. Bring a burner, kettle, and propane. I do have a second burner and kettle for various water needs, but not much in the way of spare propane tank.

pint.jpg

I think that would end up adding to the cost of the glass...

I wasn't part of this, it was just something that Stefin sent me today that he got back from one of the vendors he contacted.

Just needed to find a copy of the logo for JetSmooth, and that was the only one I had available.

As epic as the glasses are, I'm gonna have to pass. I'm still brewing on a shoestring budget as is.

wes did you still need munich? or did you get that from me already????

I still need to get that from you. Kind of slipped my mind when I was picking up bulk grain from you a few weeks ago. :drunk:

I could still use it, if you've got more to spare. I'll get back to you with an exact quantity before brewday.

I still need to get that from you. Kind of slipped my mind when I was picking up bulk grain from you a few weeks ago. :drunk:

I could still use it, if you've got more to spare. I'll get back to you with an exact quantity before brewday.

im sure i do. i tend to hoard :D

All the more we need to open a shop :p

I've been vaguely thinking of something like this. Not so much a full fledged retail store, but sort of having a "group" place...some place to brew, store malts in bulk where people could come and get it, etc...

The only problem is we're just way too far apart to make it a worthwhile idea. If everyone was within ~30 minutes or so, I could see it working well...but not in our current group. :(

well good thing is... im a customer in good standing. but i do wonder what I would have to do to be considered a shop.... hopefully they keep sending me my palate every 5 months :)

I'm hoping to make it; SWMBO has said yes. What all should I bring and can anyone summarize how this things usually go?

All the more we need to open a shop :p

I've been vaguely thinking of something like this. Not so much a full fledged retail store, but sort of having a "group" place...some place to brew, store malts in bulk where people could come and get it, etc...

The only problem is we're just way too far apart to make it a worthwhile idea. If everyone was within ~30 minutes or so, I could see it working well...but not in our current group. :(

Wouldn't that be a co-op? Someone get out ye olde Google Maps and plot out where everyone is and find the most central point.

Wouldn't that be a co-op? Someone get out ye olde Google Maps and plot out where everyone is and find the most central point.

co-op, or "man clubhouse" whatever. :)

And yes, Joppa's the general "center" based on our group and why we tend to have brewdays here. It's a long drive for everyone, but at least everyone can attend. When we do it in DC, the PA/DE guys can't always make the 2 hour drive. If we do it in DE, the Fredneck guys are like 12 hours away. ;)

So to recap, Al wants to open a clubhouse to hold our sacks? Shoot, he can do that in his driveway if I drink enough on brew day.

Well, I was down at the homebrew store this weekend and got chatting and decided to make another fake sour brew via sour mash. This will be a Faux Flanders. Mash in will be on THURSDAY in prep for Saturday's brewday.

Ewww.

I'm anxious to see how it turns out, though. Going to use Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison to see if I can dry it out and provide a little fruity/funky to the mix, along with the sour.

I did read a little that you can get that acetobactor with a sour mash, just depends on how much it takes hold before the boil.

In any case, it's a hell of an interesting thing to try just to see how it goes.

Stefin, finally worked out the grist for my doppelbock and I'll need about 15# munich. Send me a price in a PM

I'll have to check him out. I've been contemplating it for a little while now. Sounds like it's high time to make the switch.

Let me know when you go out. Bring some brew to share. :)

I almost always bring homebrew and end up spending an hour shooting the **** with Tom.

Back