Making vinegar - on purpose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sybil

Reaction score
I am looking for the most efficient way to make vinegar. This vinegar will be used in the garden to acidify water, and not consumed by humans. (I am not a teenager looking for a quick :drunk: )

I started with persimmons, sugar and bread yeast, and have now moved onto just plain warm sugar water, and bread yeast. I've got several of these happily bubbling away. I'm using 1 1/2 pound (3 1/2 cups sugar) to one gallon of water plus some minerals and a bit of acid to get the pH8 tap water down somewhat.

Can anyone suggest a more efficient yeast than generic bread yeast? I'm looking for something that will consume all the sugar, getting to maybe 9-10% alcohol, though I'm open to suggestion.

After this stuff stops fermenting, the plan is to innoculate it with un-pasteurized vinegar, then letting it sit in the dark for a month or so. Any guesses what per cent of acetic acid this will give?

Any hints, pointers, recipes, etc (to someone who doesnt know much about fermenting) would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sybil

I don't remeber all of my high school chemistry, but if I remember correctly, more alcohol by volume will result in stronger vineger. I assume you are looking for complete conversion of sugar to alcohol.

I would look into some of the Distiller's yeasts. I know that some of the mail order places like Midwest supplies and northern brewer carry them. From what I have read about them they ferment to complete attenuation and will go above 20% ABV.

Hope this helps

I know I'm being a bit of a downer, but white vinegar is very inexpensive and usually includes the strength right on the label. That seems far more efficient and effective than your proposed method.

Probably more helpful than a bunch of brewers.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS299&q=making+vinegar&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10[/ame]

I've thought of using distillers yeast, but think the bacteria that convert the alcohol into acetic acid probably evolved at lower % of acid - more like that found in natural wines.

I know I'm being a bit of a downer, but white vinegar is very inexpensive and usually includes the strength right on the label. That seems far more efficient and effective than your proposed method.
Yes, of course, that and battery acid (sulfuric) are what I have been using the past few years.

Wouldnt buying a six-pack of Bud be 'more efficient and effective' for brewers? ;) Sometimes the journey is more fun than reaching the destination.

As to the strength of acid produced, I was looking for an educated guess. Before I use the final solution on my plants, I test to make sure the pH is in the proper range.

Thanks for the link McKBrew. I've already done several searches for vinegar making. Most instructions I've found in those articles are a bit too general to satisfy my current curiosity.

Wouldnt buying a six-pack of Bud be 'more efficient and effective' for brewers? ;) Sometimes the journey is more fun than reaching the destination.
Ok, I have to admit I saw that coming. However, most of us aren't looking for a fast, cheap buzz. We're looking for good, quality craft beer, and (to be a bit blunt) we're not pouring it into the dirt.

I agree 100%, though, that this hobby is indeed about learning and creating. For that, I have to applaud you.

I appreciate what you all are trying to do and have greatly enjoyed reading many threads here. When I was a kid, my dad would make wine every year before it was fashionable, so I do understand. As a child I even crushed grapes with my feet. :p

As to my pouring the results of my fermentations into the dirt, what I am growing is obviously special enough for me to go to all this trouble. :)

I must admit I'm having a great deal of fun doing this, as well as learning more than I thought there was to learn about all sorts of related subjects. I might even have to ferment something for my own personal use, lol.

Back