200 gallon conicle fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalliwag

Reaction score
Just how nuts would this be?

HPIM2526.jpg

HPIM2527.jpg

HPIM2529.jpg

HPIM2530.jpg

Well, legally, that would be your entire yearly brewing allowance in one batch. If it wasn't a good beer, that would just be tragic. Time to get a brewer's license!

well, my oldest kid will be 21 in April so at least if my understanding is correct I can make 100 gallons per adult? Still, "legally" that would be pushing it. It would be 1.5 batches per year.
I might take the advice given in a PM and buy them to sell. Unfortunately where they are the people will not sell them at scrap price so I have to haggle.
Only two of them are super straight and no sign of damage. Only two have lids and lock rings. I found the manufacturer website and I sent an inquiry as to the actual cost of new units out of curiousity.

They have units as small as 150 liters (40 gallons)

http://www.sld.ch/pdf_dat/unit-c/en/tz.pdf

I'm pretty sure it's 100 per adult, up to a total of 200 per household.

So, you only want to brew once a year? ;)

Those are awesome, and I bet they would prove very handy if you were starting up a microbrewery. Can't see the application in homebrewing, though.. :D

Its only illegal if you get caught.

How much do those badboys cost? and where are they for sale at?!

I am haggling but they are not going to be cheap. The guy I have to talk to about them isn't available until after the first and he is a crusty old fart. So it depends on his mood. All I could get was that he was not selling them at scrap price. That is never a good sign.
But he is a businessman as far as shrewd goes so money talks. If I got all of them I could get them at a lot better deal.
If I went that route though I would have to get a friend of mine to go in with me on them. I sent him an email with a pic.

He is a newly acquired friend, I bought a couple of corny kegs from him. He has flippin buttloads of them. I figure if anyone I know local knows someone that may want them it would be him. As long as I get one in the end that works out to being free after I sell the rest it would be worth my while.
They weigh 256 lbs. each according to the stamp on them. The farther someone is from Texas the more it would be to get them freighted obviously. Finding a hardcore local brewer would be ideal.

If he's "not selling them for scrap," what the hell's that spray paint on the side say? ;)

Wonder if he even realized how much those are worth AS SCRAP these days.

My Jacuzzi is only 300! I'd say way too big for the homebrewer. Even brewpastor's rig isn't that big. If you can't get them for scrap prices, why bother?

the_bird said:
If he's "not selling them for scrap," what the hell's that spray paint on the side say? ;)

Wonder if he even realized how much those are worth AS SCRAP these days.

whatever place discarded them painted scrap on the side.

david_42 said:
My Jacuzzi is only 300! I'd say way too big for the homebrewer. Even brewpastor's rig isn't that big. If you can't get them for scrap prices, why bother?

Scrap price puts these just over $500. I had no idea stainless was up that much. I would not want to pay much more than that even though there is no telling what they cost new. It would take a pretty hardcore brewer to spend anywhere near actual industry value.
Once I get a set price for them I will figure out what I want to do.

Let's focus here people.

There was a brewpub or micro with a 1000 gallon capacity and it is now sadly out of production.

a moment of silence please...

You may now continue looting the bodies.:D

Well, the good news is it was not a microbrewery. I pulled this label off the side of one because I could not read it or take a pic.

HPIM2529.jpg

Even if you can brew 200 gallons at a time, do you really want 200 gallons of the same beer? That is 80 cases of the same old pale ale (or whatever). I do 20 - 25gallon batches and at times think it would be nice to have a smaller fermenter.

Brewpastor said:
Even if you can brew 200 gallons at a time, do you really want 200 gallons of the same beer? That is 80 cases of the same old pale ale (or whatever). I do 20 - 25gallon batches and at times think it would be nice to have a smaller fermenter.

yep, it would have to be for a beer commune or something :cross: But anyone with dreams of having a microbrewery one day would be set.
Start a local kegerator klub and have a group that everybody pitches in towards the cause and have them bring their mini-kegs, cornys, bottles or whatever on bottling day and fill their percentage?
One thing for certain is that you can save money in bulk ingredients but for most of us that is not practical because of keeping everything fresh.
20 people for 20 gallons @ $xx.xx per batch ingredients plus propane costs etc.

I am not sure how many laws would be broke with that idea, but it may just be dumb enough to work?

May I be the voice of reason here!!! :p

Lets remember something here - we are talking about beer. The more the better. Can you remember the day / night when you goto the fridge and only two bottles left and too piddled to drive and no pub or shop to walk to. This would remove the problem. I say hang with the law (never did me any good anyway) and brew all 5 at once and have a MASSIVE binge dinking session, invite the whole street, get to know the neighbours... Hell, this could be the way to world peace - set of these five bad boys in every neighbour hood.

Dang Dibby you may be onto something :) We should distribute free beer all over Iraq and Afghanistan. I have yet to ever not like a person that gave me free beeri !

Scalliwag said:
Dang Dibby you may be onto something :) We should distribute free beer all over Iraq and Afghanistan. I have yet to ever not like a person that gave me free beeri !

and in Northern Ireland, Brazil, Spain...

We could use the firefighting helicopters to distrubute in the remote areas.

Wonder what style would be best?

I am getting a real good deal on these. I am keeping one and selling the other for $500. The only thing I can figure is maybe the guy made a New Years resolution to try and be nicer :)

Back