American IPA Furious Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1335
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 65 deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 65 deg
Tasting Notes
possibly mash at 150 or add .5# dextrose to dry it out a bit more
I wanted so badly to brew me some Furious since its hard to find in Chicago, especially in bottles. Compared a bunch of recipes and ended up with this one. Since I cant get it in bottles and its off tap now in the city, I cant really remember exactly how it tastes or compares to what I ended up with. Either way this is a damn tasty beer. Little too tipsy while mashing and prob didnt stir well enuff so i only hit 67% eff. Generally end up with 75% or better :(. After being in the keg two weeks, its great, but a lower mash temp or corn sugar to dry it out just a bit more would be nice.. Also I like my beers BITTER! so maybe an extra .5oz at 60 min would be nice.. Some the recipes I found called for double the bittering hop, but I chose to do it this way. Will prob up the 60min addition next time.. Also just a note- I did not compare OG or ABV or IBU with Surly's website, I just brewed that damn thang! Enjoy!

:mug:

Furious Clone 10G
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/24/2009
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer: Jackson
Boil Size: 11.5 gal Asst Brewer: Deez Nuts
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00
Taste Notes: very nice! maybe 1# honey or corn sugar per 10G to dry it out a bit-11/19. maybe .5-1oz more 60 min hop

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
22.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.80 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.04 %
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 53.7 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.86 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.39 %
Bitterness: 117.6 IBU Calories: 267 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 24.50 lb
Sparge Water: 8.28 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 30.63 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Mash 152 60 min

UPDATE 11/30

Was at a good friend's wedding this weekend. Bottled a few and took them with me. A few of my guys have access to a neighborhood bar that has the Furious on tap regularly. They said the beer is very close, but they think Furious is a little more bitter. so +1 for a little more Warrior at 60min. One my guys said he thought this recipe was better, becuase you could drink 5 or 6 without getting too bitter in your gut. All the 20-0 min hop additions have nice flavor and aroma. Next time I'll prob bitter with 2.5oz Warrior at 60 min and make that my only change to the recipe..

Looks pretty similar to the recipe that Midwest sells, which I have brewed and is fantastic. I keep it in the line-up at all times. They use Ahtanum in the dry hop, along with Amarillo and Simcoe. You may want to change your water profile if you want to add a little more bitterness. Furious is one of my favorite IPAs, amazing aroma, especially on tap. I had it a few weeks ago in Oak Park.

I have seen the Anthanum dry hop addition. Honestly I think I just forgot to do it on this brew. Will prob also try that next time. As for water profiles- as naive as I may sound, I dont mess with those. I just use the tap water. Will prob one day get into messing with the water, but havent gotten there just yet.

Water is definitely worth looking into, at least to see what your tap water can brew. My Philly tap water would never be able to brew an IPA without modification.

Northern Brewer just debuted "Shirley Furioso", and the recipe seems solid, especially since they have a great relationship with Surly, being in the same city and all..

Well, ever learning am I when it comes to the brewing. I was at the bar this weekend that serves furious. It is indeed almost exactly the same recipe as posted above. Def add the Anthanum dry hop. I am not sure about the extra bittering... Surly says they use McCallan malt to brew this beer. That may have to do with the slight diff in taste. Also, it is def darker that what the above recipe produces. Not sure if it needs more crystal, prob just needs darker crystal... 12/6

I think you may have missed the bus a little on your clone. THe base malt is not a pale malt but is golden promise. I don't taste much else except maybe a little crystal/caremel malt. I am drinking one right now, and the driving force is no doubt simcoe. I think if you did a simcoe/golden promise smash you would be close. Mash at 153-154 with OG 1.065-1.0658 I also think that they mash this one at a little higher temp, I think the FG is 1.015 to 1.020.....on the higher end of the spectrum for IPA. US-05 or Nottingham fermented at the appropriate temperatures.

This is certainly a very good IPA, a little out of the ordinary but fantastic. Minneapolis St Paul makes some seriously good beer.

Throw Surly Furious and Summit Horizon Red Ale on the short list of amber hoppy delicious beers.

i wouldnt have posted the recipe if it wasnt damn close. its real close. also, if you research it a little bit, Surly uses the same malt the Macallan uses to make their scotch. It is definitly NOT a SMaSH. the late hop additions of Amarillo and Simcoe are pretty much dead on. its the addition of an oz of Ahtanum for DH that i'll try next time. otherwise, very very close.

I agree with permo ... you missed the bus on this a bit. First, I don't think a 60 min. boil is long enough to develop the caramel/malty flavors you need. Surely, to me, wasn't an over-the-top, punch-you-in-the-face IPA. It's a balanced and malty IPA with a very nice floral smell/flavor from the amarillo.

interesting that people are not trying the recipe but saying its wrong. again, i would not have posted if i didnt think it was very close. a few of my friends who also have accounts here at HBT confirm the thing is damn close.

so here is the site i found the recipe from.

http://www.cockale.com/?p=1032

please note the guy actually posts Midwest Supplies clone recipe, the reason he has the recipe to post is because he bought it and made it and also confirms its damn close.

then please note that he writes he has a friend with a PhD who is a master judge for BJCP blah blah blah whatever any of that means and she comments on Midwest's Kit and makes changes. I used her hop schedule but i used Midwests specialty grains. also as previously noted, Surly uses the same malt that McCallan uses to make their scotch.

“Ferocious IPA: LIMITED EDITION ALL GRAIN RECIPE KIT: Advanced Equipment and knowledge required to make this kit. Created with the brewers of Surly Brewing in Minnesota, this IPA uses 6 ounces of hops to create a bold brew that is rich in malt sweetness infused with bright hop flavor and aroma. Our ingredients for this recipe kit include 11 lbs. Golden Promise base malt, 1 lb. Munich 10°L, 4 oz. Medium Crystal 50-60°L, 1 oz. high-alpha bittering hops, 2 oz. Amarillo, 3 oz. Simcoe hops, priming sugar, and yeast. Yeast Upgrade Options: Wyeast British II Ale # 1335 or White Labs Dry English Ale Ale # 007.

Hopping Schedule

1 oz Magnum - 60
Mix 1 oz each of Amarillo/Simcoe - equal parts @ 20, 15, 10, 5, 0
1 oz Amarillo DH
2 oz Simcoe DH”
And yet, with a little research into the veracity of this claim…we come to find problems with Midwest’s formulation of the Furious. The brilliant, arrogant, and notoriously salty, Kristen England, Ph.D. BJCP Continuing Education Director, Grand Master Judge, posted this on the Northern Brewer forums this past autumn.

“Nov 07, 2008 9:28 am

A buddy forwarded this to me to ask me what I thought of the ‘clone’ recipe. Although close it doesn’t seem right to me. So I sat down with a can of furious, this recipe and all my ‘cloning’ gadgets.

I do understand that some Surly brewer helped with this so take all this with a grain of salt. I very much could have picked up the phone and asked Todd about this but Im very much against doing that. Frankly I would hate it if someone did that to me. If someone got it right by experiment then good on them.

So here are my problems with this recipe:

1. Its not dark enough. I used my colormeter and Furious seems about 15srm NOT 7.
2. That amount of light munich wouldn’t seem to give it enough of that Munichy character that I get out of furious. Its tastes more of the caramunich to me. This however could be a greater amount of munich with a darker crystal malt. The 55L stuff doesn’t give those deep chewy flavors unless used in high quantities but then you get a ton of caramel sweetness which I don’t get out of Furious.
3. FG and crystal amount. Ive used golden promise and munich extensively for years now. Ive mashed them for single infusions and triple decocted them. The thing I’ve found is that with any of the mashing schema, I’ve still been able to get a very good finishing gravity. Testing the fg of surly makes it about 1.014 (~8brix measured). This data with the color and attenuation of the yeast indicates that they amount and type of crystal malt is along the lines of what Im thinking.
3. There are 4 hops used in Furious, not 3. The bitterness is too sharp to be 100% Magnum IMO. Tastes more like Warrior or Zeus.
4. There are about 3.25lbs/ bbl of hops used in Furious, this recipe has only 2.3. More hops at the beginning can’t be done as it ups the IBU’s way out of range. The dry hopping looks right as its about 1.25#/bbl which is quite a high amount as is. Plus the flavor is not just hoppy but ‘hops’ with all the resins and such. 2oz wont give you that.

As i said before, this recipe is based on what I tasted in the beer and off the stuff that I know and could find out. Take it for what its worth but it does seem to be much more spot on. This recipe may be complete crap…but I would bet otherwise.

14B - Surly - Furious

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
—————-

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.50
Anticipated OG: 1.060 Plato: 14.74
Anticipated SRM: 15.8
Anticipated IBU: 98.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
—————————————————————————–
84.8 9.75 lbs. Pale malt - Golden Promise Scotland 1.038 3
13.0 1.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
2.2 0.25 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.
Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
—————————————————————————–
0.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.70 30.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 11.00 21.6 60 min.
0.33 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.20 6.4 20 min.
0.33 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.20 10.4 20 min.
0.33 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.20 5.3 15 min.
0.33 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.20 8.5 15 min.
0.33 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.20 3.9 10 min.
0.33 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.20 6.2 10 min.
0.33 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.20 2.1 5 min.
0.33 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.20 3.4 5 min.
0.33 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.20 0.0 0 min.
0.33 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.20 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.20 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.20 0.0 Dry Hop
Yeast
—–
WYeast 1335 British Ale II

Mash Schedule
————-

Mash Name: Single Infusion Mash

Total Grain Lbs: 11.50
Total Water Qts: 13.22 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 3.31 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 70.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
———————————————————————————
Single Infusion 1 60 153 153 Infuse 167 13.22 1.15

Total Water Qts: 13.22 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 3.31 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.23 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

Egészségedre,
Kristen England, Ph.D.
BJCP Continuing Education Director
Grand Master Judge
http://www.bjcp.org
http://www.bjcp.org/cep“

BEER FOR A GLASS, FROM A CAN.
Furious

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and caramel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screeching for.

STYLE: American India Pale Ale
MALT: Pale Ale, Golden Promise, Aromatic, Medium Crystal, Roasted Barley
HOPS: Warrior, Ahtanum, Simcoe, Amarillo
YEAST: English Ale

OG: 15º Plato
ABV: 6.5% v/v
COLOR: 27 ̊L
IBU: 99

AVAILABILITY: Cans and Kegs
, Year Round

Ok Jackson, not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but this seems to be the time and place to have the debate about Furious. This is such a good beer that I think it deserves the debate.

I have not brewed the beer with the recipe you have posted. I am not doubting that it is very good and very close to the same beer. I believe there are many ways to get to the same goal. However, according to the Surly website, they use different ingredients than all of the clone recipes that I have seen.

I have come up with a recipe using the ingredients listed on the site along with Kristen England's critique. I will post it tonight when I get off work and have access to my beersmith. I am planning on brewing this recipe in the next couple of weeks, and would be open to doing a beer swap with you if you wanted to compare.

I have come up with a recipe using the ingredients listed on the site along with Kristen England's critique. I will post it tonight when I get off work and have access to my beersmith. I am planning on brewing this recipe in the next couple of weeks, and would be open to doing a beer swap with you if you wanted to compare.

Heck yea dude. I'm not concerned about a thread hi jack, just stating that I did research this *&%^ out of this before I brewed, then brewed and tasted, then confirmed with other beer snob friends all of whom consider IPA their favorite style. Damn close.

I can tell you the Simcoe/ Amarillo hop schedule for the last 20min seems to be dead on. I can also tell you that the idea of some aromatic might help becuase my version didnt seem to have quite the malt backbone. I have no idea how the roasted barley would fit in unless its maybe just an ounce. Also I'm not totally sold on the 1oz of Warrior. The real Furious seems a bit more bitter up front. So maybe an ounce and a half?

Just some more thoughts if they help with your formulation. Only other concern- I'm out of this right now. It went real quick. And I have a bunch more on the schedule before I get to this one again. Barleywine, Lambic and I'm on a lager kick right now. So not sure when I can make another batch. But when you really are gonna fire thsi one up, let me know and I'll do one side by side with you if I can.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 97.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.94 %
7.25 lb Pale Malt, Golden Promise (3.0 SRM) Grain 43.94 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
0.75 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.52 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Ahtanum [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 42.1 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.33 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.33 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.33 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.33 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.33 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 16.50 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 24.00 qt of water at 167.1 F 153.0 F

Ferment at 68 F (controlled, Ranco two stage is on the way from MoreBeer.com:ban:)

Ok, couple of things about this recipe. They list both Pale malt and Golden Promise. I thought I would split it even the first time and see what it tastes like. The other thing is the Roasted Barley. I just plugged in .25 lb. That might be too much, I have to research that a little more. I think that is what gives them that great fire red color though. Also, I have Simcoe and Amarillo on hand so I went with the AA% that I have, YMMV. I tend to add my 0 min additions at 2 min because of the way that I strain the hops with a paint strainer hop device. I pull it out a minute after flame out and then chill. Mash temp could be 152-153. I was going to brew and see where I ended up and adjust for next time. I threw .50 oz Simcoe at 60 min just because I don't have warrior on hand and didn't want to buy 2 oz and have .5 oz left over. I base my recipes on 60% because that is what I seem to get and I am happy with the results.

then please note that he writes he has a friend with a PhD who is a master judge for BJCP blah blah blah whatever any of that means and she comments on Midwest's Kit and makes changes. I used her hop schedule but i used Midwests specialty grains.

Just for FYI, Kristen England is one of the top homebrewers in the world, and is a Grand Master Judge, which is no small feat. Also, Kristen is a guy, not a girl. I generally take everything he says regarding brewing as law.

Not to rip or anything, just FYI.

Just for FYI, Kristen England is one of the top homebrewers in the world, and is a Grand Master Judge, which is no small feat. Also, Kristen is a guy, not a girl. I generally take everything he says regarding brewing as law.

ah ha. i accidentally assumed Yooper was a guy when I first got here. so there I go putting my foot in my mouth again.

and i get it. i get that the person is certified judge and all that good stuff and that why i put a lot of stock in their recipe. i didnt know who they were but i didnt assume their titale was fake. just that lots of people use lots of different titles for lots of different stuff, and sometimes it doenst mean anything, and if i dont know the person i dont always believe everything i see written. but i brewed the thing and it was fantastic so thats good enuff for me

now otherwise i would think that .25# roasted barley is way to much. but your Beersmith says the color is right on...

i would be concerned with a whole pound of crystal being to sweet, but then i see that WLP007 says it will kill most residual sweetness. still i would prob use less crystal. notice Kristen uses .25# crystal... in my experience with my own recipes, 1# crystal leaves an IPA waaay too sweet.

keep thinking on it

I like WLP005 better becuase it looks closest to Wyeast British Ale II.

I am going to pick up a four pack today on my way to work and drink some tonight. I want to have it fresh in my mind and then look at the recipe again.

Well, I am going to take the roasted barley down to .15 lb or so. I am also going to add in .25 lb of Crystal 80. I think that is the recipe I am going to go with to start.

The Surly specs say Pale Ale malt not Pale malt. So try using the 3-4 L stuff in your recipe and then see how much roast you need for color.

Well, I think I am planning on brewing this on March 27. I am hoping to get a fermentation fridge up and going before then. Got my Ranco temp controller!:tank:

Well, I am going to brew this on Saturday. I ended up getting the Simpson's Pale Ale Malt which is 3-4 L. I got the Simpson's Golden Promise and Crystal Malt. The Aromatic was Belgian, can't remember the name. The Roasted barley was Briess. I am using RO water and adding salts. I will post them when I get home, I don't have it in front of me.

Well, I am going to brew this on Saturday. I ended up getting the Simpson's Pale Ale Malt which is 3-4 L. I got the Simpson's Golden Promise and Crystal Malt. The Aromatic was Belgian, can't remember the name. The Roasted barley was Briess. I am using RO water and adding salts. I will post them when I get home, I don't have it in front of me.

Any update on your brew, Machine? I was wanting to brew this, but wanted a good base to go off of. I may go with Kristen's recipe but substitute the hops for whay Surly actually says are in there, along with the pale and golden promise (if I can get it here).

And seeing as how the guy on Cock Ale never brewed the recipe he is dissing, I don't know if I can trust his biased word. So that recipe may be close as well.

Suprchunk

The brewday went great. I just kegged it up last Fri. Tastes good, but still quite a bit of yeast in suspension, so it will sit in the keg for a couple weeks until it all drops clear. Aroma seems right on, I will try it side by side in a couple weeks when it is ready.

I'm brewing this on Saturday. I have 5 cans in my fridge to compare - I hope they don't loose too much hop character before I've got it drinkable.

Dave

Shirley is Furious

Taking a bit from everyone, and getting closer to the IBU's listed on the can (99 IBU). I'm an engineer. I can't help but adjust everything. I'll probably try to dry hop at least 3 gallon of this in the keg..... I like to mix it up with my larger batches - yeast and hopping style. I usually split the fermentation with 2 yeasts, keg 3 gallons from each "half," and bottle the rest of that.

Brewer: Rusty Kettle Brewing
Beer: Shirley is Furious
Type: All grain
Size: 12.5 gallons
Color: 29 HCU (~15 SRM)
Bitterness: 94 IBU
OG: 1.066 FG: 1.013
Alcohol: 6.6% v/v (5.2% w/w)
Wyeast 1335 6.5 gal
Safale S-04 6 gal (I like the way this seems to bring out the hops for me - YMMV)

Grain:
23 lb. Golden Promise
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. Crystal 60L
4 oz. Torrified wheat (head retention)
3 lb. Belgian CaraMunich

Mash: 80% efficiency
Mash Temp: 152F 90min
Boil: 75 minutes 13.5 gallons

Hops - adjusted for my utilization (pellets in a bag):
3 oz. Warrior (15.8% AA, 60 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 20 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 20 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 15 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 10 min.)
.75 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 5 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 5 min.)
1 oz. Simcoe (12.2% AA, 0 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (7.5% AA, 0 min.)
2 oz. Simcoe (DH)
2 oz. Amarillo (DH)
2 oz. Ahtanum (DH)

I looked at this and couldn't help but notice that it seems like you're aiming for 6g yield. With almost 28lbs of grain either you forgot to say something or annotated it incorrectly, like maybe you meant a 10 gallon batch.

My side by side tasting went well. I have found a few process issues that I need to clean up before brewing it again though. I think the recipe is very close, but I am getting some astringency issues from my mash and sparge. I also forgot to use whirlfloc in this brew. My next brew I am really going to focus on my mashing and sparging Ph and gravity of my last runnings. My friend turned my recipe into a partial mash and his tastes almost right on. Mine was much more bitter than Furious.

I just racked this over and added the DH. I have to say, the 1335 tastes a lot closer to the Furious than the S-04, even w/o the DH. I'll post back when I bottle and drink.

BTW, I used the 2nd runnings for 2.5 gallons of a simple Saaz light beer. Tastes surprisingly like PBR - 1.028OG, 1.004 FG.

Dave

Well...what's the verdict on all these recipes? Seems like everyone is damn
Close on the hop bill but the grains-not so much. Who thinks they have them
Exactly right and has proven it by brewing it? I love me some furious and would
Like to clone it spot on if possible (can't get it at all in Colorado).

Windsor, Colorado? When I first looked at your location, I thought it was Windsor, Ontario (acrooss the river from us....). Mine is still Dry hopping in the secondary, though the 6 gallons with the 1335 was getting close during racking. I will keg/bottle next week.

If you are in Ontario, come on over!

Dave

Hah. That's hilarious. I would LOVE to try your Furious clone but it is
Windsor COLORADO....ROAD TRIP!!!!!! I'm from Minnesota so I slurp
The Furious when I'm back visiting friends/family. Makes seeing the inlaws
Much less painful!

I just had a very fresh pint of furious, I detected some summit hops in there and if I didn't know better, I would swear that there is some chinook....in addition to the ammarillo

Back