Question about Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
I have heard oxyclean is ok for cleaning home brew equipment ,
I went to buy some and there is like 5 types ... I bought oxyclean "free",
do they all work and a good cleaner or should i only buy the oderless "free" version? ... and is this stuff ok on everything ... I assume all plastics is ok , but what about S-Steel and alluminum? and what consentration should i make?

Oxiclean Free is the right and only stuff to use on brewing equipment.
Do not use on aluminum! It sort of takes off the finish. Everything else is ok.
1/2 a scoop in a 5 gallon bucket or carboy is what I use.

Free is the one to use becasue it is unscented....I can't recall about ss an aluminum, I don't use it on those things myself anyway.

I use a couple scoops in 5 gallons or so of water, I'm not careful with that stuff...I try to buy it in bulk whenever I can find it...I figure the more fizzy bubbles the less work I have to do.

I use the "free" or the unscented one. (I also use the generic version, and one that I got as a sample from a HBT'er also.). As far as concentration, it depends on how dirty the equipment is. Today after I brewed, I had a stuck on ring on my brewpot, and my mashtun had dried crud. So, I used about a scoop in 2 gallons or so. That did the trick quickly, so I rinsed well and put the equipment away. Usually, though, I use quite a bit less, as Nurmey said.

That stuff EATS the Krausen off a Better Bottle shoulder. The crud just seems to melt.

I have used the real deal and the wally world clone. They seem to work the same.

I use the unscented, but have heard from others that the scented does not smell up plastic.

That stuff EATS the Krausen off a Better Bottle shoulder. The crud just seems to melt.

I have used the real deal and the wally world clone. They seem to work the same.

I use the unscented, but have heard from others that the scented does not smell up plastic.

+1 on Oxy being fantastic on cleaning crud off of carboys/better bottles. It's like magic. Use the hottest tap water for best results.

Ya its wonderful on carboys...most of the time right after we are done bottling we throw oxy-clean in and let is soak for awhile and it does all the work for us.

thanks for these tips guys.. helped empty crud from my carboy the other day, and before that getting all the labels off the bottles. eggggcellent.

Do you guys use this for a disinfectant or sterilizer too? What about rinsing? How well do you rinse after using??

I still use starsan to sanitize. Also when I de-label bottles I usual rinse them out twice just to be safe. I want to get one of those faucet sprayer things to save water but in time.

Do you guys use this for a disinfectant or sterilizer too? What about rinsing? How well do you rinse after using??

It's best to use cleaners to clean, and sanitizers to sanitize. Some people have success using 'one step' cleaner/sanitizers, but I prefer using Oxyclean (or PBW) to clean and Star-San to sanitize.

Argh, thought I bought some sanitiser today, its called b clean, and I think its just more oxyclean, grr.

Back