Tyler Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so fast, dude. This place sucks.

I kinda like it other than not being able to buy beer on every other corner.

Tyler is not bad, its a step up from living in Chino Valley Az.

Brain, are you brewing tomorrow?

-=Jason=-

brian74 said:
Not so fast, dude. This place sucks.

I lived in Tyler for 20 years and moved to College Station for four (whoop!) and then moved to Austin for five. Now I've been back in T-town for two years. I miss Austin... every... day...! Tyler is a good place to raise a family though, we just need a homebrew store.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
I would not move to east Texas. Then again, I'm not really thrilled to be anywhere in Texas (except Austin).

And I'm thinking your a liberal. east Texas is wonderful. I used to live in Nacogdoches about an hour from Tyler. Shoot, Tyler was big city when you live in nacogdoches

I only spent two days in Tyler, was there for a job interview (oilfield), so if I get it I'll be there around October, seemed nice to me. Loved all the pine trees, reminded me of northern California... Tyler seemed to have all the major stores, and no traffic, and since I'm married with children I could care less about bars and clubs. I'm looking forward to it.

No traffic my ass! Try South Broadway on any given weekend...not to mention during holidays. The loop is cluttered with red lights, not a proper loop. It's a poor design.

Ryan, sorry man but I have a friend from work who wants to come out and watch the process. Not to steer you away though; it's a fun hobby. I suggest to get a good foundation by reading "How to Brew" and "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." Those are two excellent books that will have you feeling confident enough to try your first batch.

I was there on a Friday late afternoon (rush hour), its all realative, compared to southern california, or austin, houstin, or hell even san antonio (my current local) it was a walk in the park. I'm sure if I move I'll be bitching about the traffic after a few weeks though.... lol@myself.

I was there on a Friday late afternoon (rush hour), its all realative, compared to southern california, or austin, houstin, or hell even san antonio (my current local) it was a walk in the park. I'm sure if I move I'll be bitching about the traffic after a few weeks though.... lol@myself.

no traffic in Tyler...

I was driving 26 miles to work in Orange County, taking 4 freeways and it took me 45+ some times an hour and half.

so compared to a big city like Dallas, Austin, Phoenix, Orange County, Los Angeles , New York... etc.

Tyler is a walk in the park.

my 15 mile trek to work take 20-25 minutes.

-=Jason=-

Hey would one of you Tyler AG brewers be willing to run me through the process, and let me look at your setup? I live in Kilgore. Have done extract brewing in the past, but I am just really one of those people that likes to see the process in action before I attempt it.

Hey would one of you Tyler AG brewers be willing to run me through the process, and let me look at your setup? I live in Kilgore. Have done extract brewing in the past, but I am just really one of those people that likes to see the process in action before I attempt it.
your welcome to stop by the next time I brew.

IM in Tyler and looking to join a club. Seen one here called band of brewers. Waiting to hear back. Get at me if you put something together. Jimmy
[email protected]
not sure about the "band of brewers" I did google them and found a facebook page. didn't seem like they didn't anything other than posting brewing related articles on their page.

-=Jason=-

I'm looking for fellow homebrewers in Tyler to get a club going. I contacted Band of brewers about their club and they consolidated with East Texas Brewer's Guild. They seem alright but are primarily based out of White Oak I believe and I would rather kick it with Tyler brewers instead of driving back and forth. In Tyler, Bj's is a good spot to sample difderent styles of beers and both Julienn's and Breakers restaurants try to keep a good variety of craft brews in stock. In fact, Juliennes had Delerium Tremens on tap. Occasionally, Wasabi's has good beer on tap. In Dallas, The flying saucer is the place to go for a plethora of offerings as far as a bar and Central Market is a good place to stock up. Buying beer locally is a trek. Fat Dogs (liquor side)has the best craft brew variety by far and will special order.
I also order from Homebrew Headquarters and those guys are super nice and helpful. Their shipping is very reasonable. I also use Austin Homebrew who carry one of the most extensive lists of hb recipes I've seen and free shipping on orders over $100. I like Midwest Supplies too but their shipping is murder. I just switched to all grain using the briab method and having a club for discussions would have been swell. If anyone here is serious about putting together a Tyler group, plse e-mail me. A monthly meet to discuss techniques, recipes and taste samples could be a good thing. We could get something going and I know of at least one other who has expressed interest.
[email protected]
Cheers!

Everyone,
There has been interest from about six HBT'ers since I bumped the thread earlier this month. So, if you are interested in a getting a homebrew club going in Tyler, let's get the ball rolling... join the Tyler, Texas group on HBT: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/tyler-texas/

We'll use this group to talk about "club-specific" start-up items, meeting dates and times. If you have friends that brew in Tyler or the Tyler area, point them to the group. If they aren't on HBT... They should be!

Hobnob

So where is East Texas are all you folks? I've seen Tyler, but just wanted to check. I will be moving to Sacul, 25 mins northwest-ish from Nacogdoches and was looking for other homebrewers. Wanted to start a small brew club, or just pool together for some grain runs and such. I also know of a person who might be trying to open a homebrew store in the Rusk area. Not totally sure on that though. Cheers.

So where is East Texas are all you folks? I've seen Tyler, but just wanted to check. I will be moving to Sacul, 25 mins northwest-ish from Nacogdoches and was looking for other homebrewers. Wanted to start a small brew club, or just pool together for some grain runs and such. I also know of a person who might be trying to open a homebrew store in the Rusk area. Not totally sure on that though. Cheers.

Howdy. We have an active Homebrew club in Nacogdoches with about 50 members. In fact, we're having our spring brewfest even in April. PM me if you want any more information! We'd love to have another member.

I currently live in Nacogdoches, but will probably be moving to Jefferson/Marshall in a few months.

Why on earth are you moving to Sacul? I have to guess its because of the new biomass plant?

I have been homebrewing in Tyler for about 3 years and would like to see a local club. No offense to the Nac crowed, I like Nac, but your too far away. Lets hear from the Tyler brewers either here or on my Facebook page "Tyler Area Pints and Suds".

Bumping this thread from the grave. I have PM'd a couple of you earlier today. But I figured it was worth checking in. I have been living in south Tyler for the last 12 years and brewing for 10+ of those years. I get about one 10 12 gallon all grain brew day in per month and am always looking to meet more local brewers. Now that Tyler is wet, I'm hoping you all didn't retire. :tank:

Cheers,
Doug

Not me. I'm still brewing. While I don't live in Tyler, I go there enough.

I can tell you who's not happy about Tyler going wet and that's FatDog's on hwy 155. I was told, by a guy working there, that their beer and wine sales have dropped 70 - 80% since that change.

Not me. I'm still brewing. While I don't live in Tyler, I go there enough.

I can tell you who's not happy about Tyler going wet and that's FatDog's on hwy 155. I was told, by a guy working there, that their beer and wine sales have dropped 70 - 80% since that change.

I can imagine. The people there are always friendly, and I'm sorry they are hurting from this. They had a good run though. Nothing to stop them from opening up shop in Tyler, although I would imagine they would hold off on doing so until we get liquor sales legalized.

Where are you in East Texas?

Liquor sales won't happen at all. Brookshires and Walmart won't put money towards it like they did for beer and wine. Trust me. Been in this business for the past decade (up until just now when I closed my store in Winona because of the b/w vote)

And there's no reason whatsoever to build a beer store in Tyler. Not when you have Walmart selling 30 packs 30¢ BELOW cost. You can compete with that. Trust me. If anyone opens up a standalone beer store, there dumber than a box of rocks. It's not a margin game. It's a volume game. When you cannot compete with big box stores, you won't stay alive

Got a feeling liquor sales will be a ways off.

I'm a little north of Palestine.

You may be right. We have another beer and wine election for Pct. 1 in May. I think they will get the beer and wine domino effect going for the surrounding areas outside of the city limits, then double back on liquor.

If I had my wish, the next thing they should do is an option election to free up the "on premise" licensing we have here in Tyler. Currently, to sell on premise, you have to be a restaurant (food service license holder), which entitles you to sell with a "mixed beverages" permit. That's why Fresh had to cordon off the restaurant on premise sales and have all "off premise" product sold with instructions to leave out the rear entrance. Basically a tape line on the floor.

But apart from that, here's the other rub. A mixed beverage permit does not allow for the sale for off-premise consumption except (1) if you don't finish your bottle of wine, it can be corked and taken home (ABC Section 28.10(b)) or (2) a restaurant that is part of a hotel may deliver mixed beverages, wine or beer to any part of the hotel (rooms and common areas, but not parking areas). So a place like Fresh (this is like our local version of HEB Central Market or Whole Foods), they have to have two licenses---mixed beverage and off premise licenses.

In my perfect world, a place like Fresh or other restaurant/food sales place could apply for a BG License (some people call it a beer garden license). This is a combination on premise/of premise license. What's the point? Growler fills. :mug: I am dreaming big. :)

You may be right. We have another beer and wine election for Pct. 1 in May. I think they will get the beer and wine domino effect going for the surrounding areas outside of the city limits, then double back on liquor.

If I had my wish, the next thing they should do is an option election to free up the "on premise" licensing we have here in Tyler. Currently, to sell on premise, you have to be a restaurant (food service license holder), which entitles you to sell with a "mixed beverages" permit. That's why Fresh had to cordon off the restaurant on premise sales and have all "off premise" product sold with instructions to leave out the rear entrance. Basically a tape line on the floor.

But apart from that, here's the other rub. A mixed beverage permit does not allow for the sale for off-premise consumption except (1) if you don't finish your bottle of wine, it can be corked and taken home (ABC Section 28.10(b)) or (2) a restaurant that is part of a hotel may deliver mixed beverages, wine or beer to any part of the hotel (rooms and common areas, but not parking areas). So a place like Fresh (this is like our local version of HEB Central Market or Whole Foods), they have to have two licenses---mixed beverage and off premise licenses.

In my perfect world, a place like Fresh or other restaurant/food sales place could apply for a BG License (some people call it a beer garden license). This is a combination on premise/of premise license. What's the point? Growler fills. :mug: I am dreaming big. :)

That is just not going to happen. And in the history of Texas, only ONE place has ever gone from "damp" to "wet" ever. So liquor is just not going to happen. Not with Tyler voters. This issue is 'done' with them.

It all sucks anyways, since it put me out of business.

Well, my future predicting skills have been wrong before. Just out of curiosity, which town in Texas went damp to wet?

Bumping this thread from the grave. I have PM'd a couple of you earlier today. But I figured it was worth checking in. I have been living in south Tyler for the last 12 years and brewing for 10+ of those years. I get about one 10 12 gallon all grain brew day in per month and am always looking to meet more local brewers. Now that Tyler is wet, I'm hoping you all didn't retire. :tank:

Cheers,
Doug

Doug,
I'm also in in South Tyler all my life. I've been brewing about 3 years. All grain brew in a bag the last 2. I normally brew 2-3 5 gallons brews per month. I have a mash tun but haven't taken the final step with my all grain set up because the biab has been a lot more managable as a solo brewer. I actually brewed 15 gallons of orange creamsickle a few wks ago, which I'll be bottling this weekend. I wouldn't mind collaborating with another brewer on recipes, ingredients, and brew day just to mix it up. I tried to meet up with Tyler Area Pints and Suds but its been hit and miss. I would like to see your rig and maybe get some ideas for finishing my rig and maybe swap some samples.
Give me a shout
Jimmy
jimmyntracey @ sbc global. net

Doug,
I'm also in in South Tyler all my life. I've been brewing about 3 years. All grain brew in a bag the last 2. I normally brew 2-3 5 gallons brews per month. I have a mash tun but haven't taken the final step with my all grain set up because the biab has been a lot more managable as a solo brewer. I actually brewed 15 gallons of orange creamsickle a few wks ago, which I'll be bottling this weekend. I wouldn't mind collaborating with another brewer on recipes, ingredients, and brew day just to mix it up. I tried to meet up with Tyler Area Pints and Suds but its been hit and miss. I would like to see your rig and maybe get some ideas for finishing my rig and maybe swap some samples.
Give me a shout
Jimmy
jimmyntracey @ sbc global. net

Jimmy, email coming your way.

Cheers,
Doug

Still active and brewing. I am just getting started good with all grain, after about 4 years of extract.

Several Tyler area brewers met at Brunos on Old Jacksonville two weeks ago and enjoyed several examples from our breweries. Everybody agreed to do it again. You should join us.

Very cool. I found the TAPS facebook page the other day. I'm assuming that's where they will announce the next meeting.

TAPS will be meeting on May 16 at 6:00pm, at Tyler's Brewing Supply. If you have not heard, Tyler now has a LHBS located at 13893 Hwy 155 S. Tyler's Brewing Supply officially opens this coming Monday and the owner has offered to let the club meet at his business. We will be trying to meet every third Thursday of the month.

More information on Tyler's Brewing Supply can be found at: http://www.tylersbrewing.com/

TAPS (Tyler Area Pints and Suds) is a new and growing group of brewers in the Tyler area. The best way of contact is through Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tyler-Area-Pints-and-Suds/213291618704212

:mug:

Back