Merkur hops growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreigngreg

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Germand 'Merkur' hops? Any Idea about aroma, bittering ect.? I bought some of these in germany and have planted them (they were the only thing I could find this spring).

I would be love to have a better idea of what I planted. I anycase, I guess it might be an interesting experiment... My plan is to try some 'green hopping' on a beer.

Cheers

Greg

Really good clean, somewhat spiceish bittering. Pair very well with Fruit/Citirus yeast and Hops. In the future I plan on using these for bittering most of my beers and playing around more in late additions.

I thought there was some fruit. I found them very pleasant. A fellow brewer smelled them and loved them. Fruit & spice. They're headed into one of his next brews.

Personally, I lean towards Citra & Nelson and hops that are over the top. But Merkur was a nice hop. I'd have no problem throwing together a single hop IPA with it.

How are they growing? Would you be willing to sell me a rooted cutting or a rhizome next season?

Back