Increase ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captflyer

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing so please ignore my ignorance. I'll be making the all grain version of "Moose Drool" over the next few days. I'm using the recipe out of "Clone Brew" book.

the ABV in the recipe is 5.3%. How can I, or what do I need to add to increase the alcohol by volume.:mug:

I'm new to homebrewing so please ignore my ignorance. I'll be making the all grain version of "Moose Drool" over the next few days. I'm using the recipe out of "Clone Brew" book.

the ABV in the recipe is 5.3%. How can I, or what do I need to add to increase the alcohol by volume.:mug:

Add sugar... sucrose, maltose, dextrose, etc.

Increase extract. Use more malt and/or boil longer to concentrate the extract from the malt you have. This is the best way to increase ABV as you maintain balance. If all you are after is alcohol (the beer will be thin, dry, lack mouthfeel and malt character) then convert at low temperature (145 °F) so the extract is highly fermentable, supplement with sugars, honey etc. and use a highly attenuative yeast strain.

You can add more fermentables to increase the ABV, but it may throw the taste out of balance. A good beer is all about balance of flavors, not just higher ABV.

Since you are new to brewing I would recommend brewing it as is, or if you want a higher ABV brew then pick a recipe that is formulated for that.

One of the easiest ways to increase alcohol would be to mash at a lower temperature.

Remember MALT

M=more A=alcohol L=lower T=temperature

Increasing the ABV will affect the flavor profile and mouthfeel of the beer - the bigger the change, the bigger the difference. I would suggest brewing this beer according to the recipe.

I know nobody is going to convince you otherwise, and you're still going to bump up the ABV on this one. But please listen to me - make a starter. It's ridiculously easy (and kinda fun), and you just need to plan a day or two in advance.

Everyone tells us new brewers to make a starter, and you think "nah, the yeast will be fine, screw it". But seriously when bumping up your OG, do it - you'll be happy you did!

Bump your base malt up a pound or two and increase your bittering hops maybe 10%. Or you could just brew a bigger batch.

You can add more fermentables to increase the ABV, but it may throw the taste out of balance. A good beer is all about balance of flavors, not just higher ABV.

Since you are new to brewing I would recommend brewing it as is, or if you want a higher ABV brew then pick a recipe that is formulated for that.

+100000000

If you're picking a recipe - especially your first recipe - out of abook of clone recipes, why on Earth would you want to change it in any way? Kinda defeats the purpose of picking a clone brew in the first place!

+1 to what everyone else is saying. The alcohol content is one of the many factors you have to BALANCE out to have a great tasting beer. There is a point of dimenishing returns where if you add to much alcohol to any recipe, then the beer tastes more like beer flavored vodka.

5.3% ABV is nothing to sneeze at. Your average Bud/Coors/Mich beer is around 3.9-4.1% in most states. Moose Drool does not have a heavy enough body to cover much more alcohol than that. If you want to make a higher ABV beer, I would suggest picking a different beer style with a heavier body that is designed to handle a higher ABV, like a Stout, Belgian Duble/Tripel, Barleywine, or Imperial.

Cptnflyer asked how he Can increase the alcohol, not if he should. If no one ever changed a recipe, we would all be brewing one recipe of each style. So how can he effectively increase the alcohol?

+1 to following the recipe. Once you get addicted to the hobby and brew a few more batches you can thinker with things to produce the beer you want (like I did).

Cptnflyer asked how he Can increase the alcohol, not if he should. If no one ever changed a recipe, we would all be brewing one recipe of each style. So how can he effectively increase the alcohol?

Can i just say, i LOVE your profile pic. Something so nice about it.

How about "Drop a shot of whiskey or vodka into the glass of beer before you drink it." :mug:

Best way to increase alcohol content with little to no flavor contribution is DME, table or turbinodo sugar, or clove honey at flameout.

Back