American Wheat fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokenjoke

Reaction score
I did a search and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I beginning to ferment an American Wheat for the first time. I'm using Wyeast 1010 and wondering what the suggested fermentation temperature should be for this type of beer?

Thanks

I'm not sure off the top of my head but I would try to keep it under 70. My last batch was an American wheat and I lost control of the temp for a while and my fermometer got up to 74. Needless to say, it's my first beer in the keg and it is very tangy and has a band-aid flavor. I hope it mellows out.

YEAST STRAIN: 1010**|**American Wheat™

Back to Yeast Strain List

A strong fermenting, true top cropping yeast that produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers when a low ester profile is desirable.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 58-74° F (14-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV
Styles:
***American Wheat or Rye Beer
***Cream Ale
***Düsseldorf Altbier
***Kölsch
***Northern German Altbier

I would keep it in low to mid sixties....

I used that a few months ago, its acually pretty crazy stuff. It forms a huge mat of yeast on the top of the brew that you almost have to break loose before it will drop. I fermented in the upper 60s and in the peak of fermentation it climbed to about 72. That was too hot I think, it developed a really tart flavor that took about a month in the bottles to dissipate. Great yeast strain though

I would try to keep it at 62-64

Thanks for the help everyone. I've got it set for 69 so I'll turn it down a bit and let it work.
Thanks again!

I got up this morning expecting the worst since I've read many threads of slow fermenting wheat beer. The temp is at a steady 65 degrees and the airlock is bubbling like crazy. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your guidance. This is a wonderfully informative forum.

That yeast is pretty unstoppable. I think you could probably pitch a little higher and take it down into the high 50s. Would probably make a really interesting brew

I use WLP320 and it works fine for 59-70. Esters are nearly the same. I've tried to make a clean beer with it but can't. Wyeast 1010 seems more versatile. I'll have to try it. 320 is wonderful in my rye beer but I like to be able to brew more than one style with a yeast.

Back