Very late dme addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNHopHead

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm doing an American/Imperial IPA and decided to do a late dme addition of 3 pounds however we forgot to do so until it was down to about 100 degrees as we had begun the cooling process. So, back on the heat it went, the dme went in at about 110 degrees, brought it to a boil for 5 minutes, and proceeded with the cooling again. It fermented like mad for a day and seems to be doing fine.
Does anyone have any input as t how this mistake could affect the beer?

Cheers!

the beer will be fine. It might be a little more bitter than intended, but not something you would probably notice.

I did this EXACT same thing about 7 weeks ago. I was worried about infection. The wort was probably about the same temp when I "remembered" my late addition, and believe it or not I was brewing an IPA as well!

The only difference is I didn't bring the wort back up to a boil after the super-late addition. :p I was worried about infection, but I didn't want to mess with the hop profile by boiling again.

Beer turned out fine!! :) I don't think boiling for 5 mins would change much either.

Whew! Thanks for the comment! We did add just a little more hops during the late boil too, to cover for any added bitterness ...

Back