Smallest Freezer for 6 kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have been looking through the "Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs" thread, plus other threads, trying to determine the smallest freezer that will hold 6 kegs.

What I want is a freezer that will hold six kegs, or four kegs and a six gallon Better Bottle, with a collar added. What is the smallest freezer that will do that?

It seems some say a 7.2cf is big enough, others say it isn't. Should I be looking at 7.5cf freezers?

My 7 cubic foot freezer can hold 3 ball locks without a collar or 4 with a collar. You are going to need to go much larger than that.

It seems some say a 7.2cf is big enough, others say it isn't. Should I be looking at 7.5cf freezers?

NOT A CHANCE...I just bought one. It will hold two carboys or 3 cornies & a CO2 tank...it seems like the "Sizing Your ****" thread should suit your purposes.

A 7.5 might hold 6 kegs with a tall collar, but no way would it hold four and a better bottle. I wouldn't consider anything under a 9 cu.ft.

It looks like this one will hold six kegs:

Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. at Home Depot for $219
ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

8361-keezer.jpg

This is the one I have, and fits them great with the collar.

That's the one I wanted, except Home Depot doesn't sell them in store and I nearly had a heart attack when they wanted 150 dollars to ship me a 240 dollar freezer.

That's the one I wanted, except Home Depot doesn't sell them in store and I nearly had a heart attack when they wanted 150 dollars to ship me a 240 dollar freezer.

I will NOT pay $150 shipping. Don't they have in-store pickup, like Lowes?

I have a 9ish c.f. chest freezer that perfectly fits 6 kegs (without setting kegs on the compressor hump). I'll get a model # when I get home.

I will NOT pay $150 shipping. Don't they have in-store pickup, like Lowes?

They fed me this song and dance that I would still need to pay 70 bucks for them to deliver the thing to me (I don't have access to a vehicle large enough to transport a freezer). I ended up getting a freezer from Lowe's for 210 dollars delivered for free.

The trade off was it can only hold 3 corny kegs (or 4 with a collar). Odds are I'll see if I can get a bigger one and turn this one into a lagering chamber in the future.

They fed me this song and dance that I would still need to pay 70 bucks for them to deliver the thing to me (I don't have access to a vehicle large enough to transport a freezer). I ended up getting a freezer from Lowe's for 210 dollars delivered for free.

The trade off was it can only hold 3 corny kegs (or 4 with a collar). Odds are I'll see if I can get a bigger one and turn this one into a lagering chamber in the future.

So,are you saying they will do in-store delivery, if I have a truck?

THD is five minutes away (I was there today), so picking it up won't be an issue.

I was at a new HH Greg next to THD. They have several chest freezers, but I did not have any cardboard circles with me.

Their prices, even with a grand opening sale, were high.

So,are you saying they will do in-store delivery, if I have a truck?

That's what it seemed like when I was talking to the appliance guy. I got fed up with him because I knew Lowe's was offering free delivery on all appliances... so I bought from Lowe's and was done with it.

Yup, Magic Chef 7.2 FTW. It's very compact, hell, it's in my living room.

+1 for the Magic Chef 7.2. I have a triangular collar, which was suggested by my LHBS. Nice in that you don't have to move the brackets. If I wanted to hold 6 kegs, I'd need a 6" regular collar.

kegerator17.jpg

obsession1.jpg

Uuuhhh, that's a lot of kegs!!!

The tapered collar is interesting...though moving the screws that hold the hinge isn't very much work, or particularly difficult. Was it difficult to make the taper? Does the gasket still seat properly?

The tapered collar is interesting...though moving the screws that hold the hinge isn't very much work, or particularly difficult. Was it difficult to make the taper? Does the gasket still seat properly?

It wasn't that difficult to make, and it does seal properly. I only went that route because I found some cheap 4" wood, and didn't realize I'd need 6" to be able to cleanly move the brackets. Eventually, I will make a 6" collar so I can fit 6 kegs in there.

Back