Champagne Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob

Reaction score
Currently on the AHA website in there is a small article on Champagne Beer. I've been thinking about doing this for a while now and was wondered if anyone has tried it. I've attached the link below and also have some questions.

http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/index.html

First, question is what does this mean: "Condition for two months on bottle side in the case bottles"? What does it mean by bottle side? Next, "Over a month, spin each bottle while slowly raising the case boxes to vertical"...I assume that this means spin the bottles about the bottles vertical axis and slowly over a month tip the box on it's side so the bottles are horizontal. Any thoughts on this? Then the next comment is "Rest for two months upside down", I assume after that first month as mentioned above the bottles should be turned upside down?

Anyone have any success doing this?

Basically you want to slowly get all of the yeast to settle in the neck of the upside-down bottle. Start with them on their sides and slowly raise them to vertical over a couple weeks, turning the bottles a little at a time.

The dry ice/acetone solution is to freeze the yeast plug in the neck while also keeping foaming of the beer to a minimum.

I've heard of doing this, but I've never tried. Good luck.

it sounds like they want you to start with the bottles laying horizontal, over the next month, tip the case holding the bottles so that in the end the bottles are vertical with the neck at the bottom. Then freeze the neck of the bottle (which I would assume contains the yeast at this point) open the bottle, remove the chunk of ice in the neck of the bottle, add a small amount of liquid back into the bottle and reseal.

*edit*
brewsmith beat me to it

it sounds like they want you to start with the bottles laying horizontal, over the next month, tip the case holding the bottles so that in the end the bottles are vertical with the neck at the bottom. Then freeze the neck of the bottle (which I would assume contains the yeast at this point) open the bottle, remove the chunk of ice in the neck of the bottle, add a small amount of liquid back into the bottle and reseal.

*edit*
brewsmith beat me to it

I've done a bit more research online and I agree that they should start horizontal and then slowly move to veritical. I've emailed a buddy to see if he would be interested in joining in this brew.

I hope Champagne beer does not taste like the self proclaimed 'Champagne of Beer.'
miller-high-life.gif

Just kidding, i read 'Champagne Beer' and it made me think of that crap.

Yeah, the method they describe is the traditional "Methode Champenoise". If you want to try a commercial example for beer done in this method, check out 'Deus Brut'. It's awesome.

Good luck with this. It's labor-intensive as hell!

That method for removing the yeast deposit is actually identical to the methods used by winemakers in Champagne, France.

I have never actually tried it though. It is something I might do this year during the grape harvest.

Yeah, the method they describe is the traditional "Methode Champenoise". If you want to try a commercial example for beer done in this method, check out 'Deus Brut'. It's awesome.

I had a bottle at New Year's and there is a tag on the bottle that describes the process a bit.

I bet it is a lot of work. I'm working on getting someone to brew with me.

Golden Valley Brewery in McMinnville, OR also did this with their IPA vs Brut. David_42 may be able to elaborate on this further since that's his local. It is an outstanding beer!

I've had the Malheur Dark Brut and while it was mighty good...I could see doing it if you had a recipe that you expected would be worthy of the additional treatment, high carb and especially dry champagne-esque palate.

Back