GF Pumpkin Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kegged mine yesterday, FG 1.010

It went pretty low, must not have caramelized the honey long enough as I suspected. Wasn't impressed by the taste, but we will see how it turns out after a week or so cooling and carbing up.

Siphoning out was an experience, the pumpkin left so much waste at the bottom of the primary, I ended up only being able to get about 4 gallons.

Same experience for me on the first batch with the lower yield, that's why I did a 6 gallon for the second.

If you don't have the sweetness to balance the spices just wait a few weeks for the spices to mellow.

Girlfriend just tasted it and wants to know if there is anything to do that would tone down the sour flavour?

I know that's coming from the sorghum, but just a shot in the dark. Maybe MORE spices? Would that even do anything by throwing them into the keg?

Maybe remove some of the sorghum and add some more honey in its place? Might make it taste a little better, but still keeping some body.

Or try a little brown/dark sugar and lower the sorghum amount? Trial and error. That's what I say. Learn by doing. :)

Hard to say what she means by sour, but time may help. Just leave it for a month or so and see how she likes it then.

Back