Will this recipe work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
Input? Things to change or go for it?

3.3 pounds of wheat extract (60 minute boil)
1/2 pound wheat dry malt extract @ 15 mins
1/4 oz Hallertau @ 60 minutes, 1/4 oz @ 15 minutes
1/2 oz coriander @ 15 minutes?
1/2 oz bitter orange peel @ 30 minutes?

German Wheat Activator Wyeast ACT3333 after cool down.

Going for a 2.5 to 3 gallon brew.

Is there a particular style you're aiming for? I'm not sure if the spice / fruit would play well with the banana flavors you'll get from the Weizen yeast. If it's a Wit, you might want to use a belgian strain. If it's a Hefe, I'd just leave 'em out.

Otherwise, it looks OK at first glance. What kind of IBUs are you expecting from the hops? Looks like it might be a little light, but it depends on where they fall in the AA range.

Well, not sure to be honest. I am new to this. One of my favorite commercial brews is Bluemoon which has the orange and coriander. Not trying to make a clone but since it's a flavor profile I like, I figured using the same spices would get me something enjoyable. I also really enjoy Hoengaarden which has the same spices, so I guess I am trying for something along those lines. I've been trying to read as many recipes as possible but at this point, it's overwhelming. I do know I do NOT like bitter beer so I want to avoid that by all means.

I see. The style you're looking for is called a Belgian Wit. I've actually never brewed one, so I can't help much, but if you look through the recipe database here on HBT, you can find plenty of good examples:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/?daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=voteavg

You also may just want to get a kit. They're mostly set up for 5 gallon batches, but you could just use half of everything and keep the rest for the next time you brew.

You'll want a neutral yeast for a Blue Moon clone and my research tells me that they use sweet orange peel in Blue moon, Valencia to be exact.
Get yourself a bottle of Shock Top Belgian White and compare, I believe they use bitter orange.
I prefer the shock top myself.

Yeah, I love Shock Top too...so sweet or bitter orange, I'm a fan...lol

Your recipe looks OK to me. I'd add both the orange peel and corriander just before flameout, shoot for 15-18 IBUs on the hops. An easy and cheap neutral yeast is a pack of US-05. 1/2 oz may be way too much corriander though, I used 1.25 teaspoon of coarsely crushed corriander seed in mine. It could have stood more...but too much can't be taken back!

Back