Hops in the north

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckler

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First time posting but have been lurking for years and I've gotta say I've learned so much just from this forum. I've recently done my first 2 all grain batches and can't seem to get enough of brewing. Anywho I've been toying with the idea of growing some hops and was wondering if anyone has had luck north of 55 or If it is even possible to get a decent yield this far north.

Thanks guys

Hello everyone! First time posting but have been lurking for years and I've gotta say I've learned so much just from this forum. I've recently done my first 2 all grain batches and can't seem to get enough of brewing. Anywho I've been toying with the idea of growing some hops and was wondering if anyone has had luck north of 55 or If it is even possible to get a decent yield this far north.

Thanks guys

Welcome!

Here's my advice to anyone "toying" with the idea of growing some hops in the hope of getting a "decent yield."

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/domestic-leaf-hops.html

Take any money you would have used for rhizomes, fertilizers, bug sprays, supports, etc and buy a few pounds from these guys instead. Then brew more.

Welcome!

Here's my advice to anyone "toying" with the idea of growing some hops in the hope of getting a "decent yield."

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/domestic-leaf-hops.html

Take any money you would have used for rhizomes, fertilizers, bug sprays, supports, etc and buy a few pounds from these guys instead. Then brew more.

Most people that grow hops aren't trying to save money....it's just really damn cool.

I'm looking into growing some here in Anchorage just for fun.

HickoryMike said:
Most people that grow hops aren't trying to save money....it's just really damn cool.

I'm looking into growing some here in Anchorage just for fun.

I agree... Brewing beer has so far proven to be much more expensive than buying, considering there's always something new to buy or build. We may try to convince certain swmbo's that it's all about saving $$, but it'll take a lot of brews before I break even! Hops growing is my new way to save even more $$, lol.

Back