Where to buy used kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyC

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a few used kegs.But I haven't had any luck. I want a few to use as a boil pot and for sparge water

Breweries will generally sell kegs that are too banged up to hold pressure, fill easily or clean properly. Sometimes distributers will have kegs that are obviously damaged beyond use, bent handles, major dents, etc.

Check out your local SS junk yards. There you can by kegs by scrap weight. Ususally between $10-$20 each.

Good luck,
Wild

On a tip from a friend I went to a beer depot around here who also sells some home brew supplies looking for a keg myself. Turned out all they had was just the normal $10 deposit kegs (I got a 1/4 barrel and not a half barrel) , nothing that was past it's service life or anything other then what was going back to the brewery. After telling them "No Thnx" that I would rather not get one of them because I wasnt real sure on the ethical part of paying $10 for a basicly new keg one of the guys near the cooler chimed in and said why not? I explained that the cost of the keg for the brewery is a hell of a lot more then $10 and I just didnt feel right about it and he turned around and told me "You are retarded". Just befor I hit him in the mouth I stopped and noticed his shirt . . . . he happened to be the distributer for Miller, told the store owner that it was fine to sell it to me for the deposit and even carried it out to my truck for me.

Now maybe it's because the Miller Brewery and International HQ are literally 5 minutes from my house BUT thats how I got mine, and will probably get my next one or 2 the same way if I ever decide I need a couple more. Now all I have to do is get of me arse and get over the the blacksmith in the town I grew up in and get the top cut off and find a weldless spout for it and build my mash tun.

BTW the Miller guy was willing to do it for half barrels too . . .

yep-- same thing around here: if you're willing to pay teh deposit, most liquor stores will let you dig throu their pile of half or quarter barrels and take one home--- if the delivery guy is there, he'll even carry it to the car for you.

orfy said:
CrazyC, where do you live?

I live in Birmingham,AL It's kind of hard to find things here for homebrewing. We only have two brew stores that I know of around here.

Back