Celiac and Sleep Apnea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem that I see with the hypothesis: Celiac's Disease, like all auto-immune diseases, have a genetic component. From what I understand if one sibling has Celiac's Disease, the odds are that all the siblings will have it and one parent.

The other observed phenomena such as small hands, poor circulation and heavy snoring can also have a strong genetic component. So it shouldn't be that surprising that these are all observed in some families with Celiac's Disease.

I'm not convinced of a causal relationship.

I did not read the article but I do know that it is highly unlikely that all siblings in a family will be affected by Celiac disease. While there is a genetic predisposition to Celiac it is not a solely genetic disease but rather has a multifactorial etiology and pathogenesis.

I wouldn't underplay the genetic component. My Celiac friend, two of her three brothers has it and her brother who has kids, all four of his children have it.

I've had two more thoughts on the article.

First, it could also be causal in the other direction, like Celiacs Disease and Lactose Intolerance. LI won't cause CD. But CD undiagnosed can cause LI.

Second, I have Reactive Arthritis which is another autoimmune disease. And there are a myrid of other problems that it can cause that have nothing to do with arthritic pain. So it is possible that they could be related. But in this sense, it's more like "you have autoimmune disease 'x' which can cause both Celiacs Disease and sleep apnea."

I don't have celiac disease. My mom does, my sister does.

My GF has celiac disease. Neither of her kids have the predisposed celiac gene (they can check for that now).

Just some more evidence, I always thought being offspring of someone who has it gave you greater risk, but I am not sure how great the risk is.

Oh, and no one has sleep apnea.

That they know of. Most people that have it don't know they do. Like Celiac's, miss diagnosed most of the time.

Well, everyone I have mentioned sleeps with another person (except the kids). I guess it seems like they would notice, I sure would.

Well, everyone I have mentioned sleeps with another person (except the kids). I guess it seems like they would notice, I sure would.

One would think so. But people die every year from aliments that can be traced back to sleep apnea. I'm not saying that sleep apnea is the only cause it's side affects. After struggling for a couple years to get my blood pressure down and then getting a cpap machine it fell to a very acceptable level I think it's worth exploring.

Back