Brew pubs in San Jose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be in San Jose for 2 or 3 nights in May, any suggestions for brew pubs in the area? I've been up through S.F. and North of there in the past, looking to stay local in the San Jose area if possible.

My favorite is in sunnyvale, just a few minutes outside of SJ. FireHouse Grill & Brewery. The Brewmaster is really cool, let me peek around w/ him back in the brewery, I'm back that way often for business, and the food is pretty damn good too. Also, if you're interested in mead, rabbits foot meadery there is run by a coworker. they have a small tasting room, and you can try their meads and even a braggot. They're even distributing through BevMo now.

Edit: Here's an actual address lol

FireHouse Grill & Brewery
111 S Murphy Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

Rabbit's Foot Meadery:
1246 Birchwood Dr..
Sunnyvale,CA 94089

My wife and I were just out there and we went to the Tied House in Mountain View. There is also one in San Jose. We used to live in the area 15 yrs ago and this was our first trip back.

We really like the beers there. People knock them, I think because they have resisted joining the "Arms race" of beers. It seems many brewpubs are trying to out-beer the others and make lots of amped up beers. In contrast, at the Tied House the beers are very simple but very flavorful. All the beers we tried were nicely balanced. Beers that one could sit down and drink, and drink, and drink. Nothing fancy and exotic, just very tasty.

The Tied House in San Jose closed down, now it's just the one in Mountain View. That totally sucks but it is what it is. They had great beer but sh!tty service. Anyway, I'd still go to the one in Mountain View.

Oh and for a bigger chain brewpub, try BJ's, the have great food, pizza esp, and their dessert, the pizookie (fresh cookie in a mini pizza tray, with ice cream on top) is the bomb, their beers are pretty tasty too. They usually have a seasonal on tap that's not on the menu so ask. Recently they had a Tripel I loved, and a buddy tried their Grand Cru and told me to give it a go, but it was sold out.

Rock Bottom in Campbell AHA Discount
BJ's Cupertino ( next to Apple HQ ) or Oakridge Mall. AHA Discount
Gordon Biersch in Downtown SJ
Firehouse - Sunnyvale
Faultline - Sunnyvale

Let me know when you are in town -- maybe we could set up a HBT get together one night?

Added: BevMo - Sunnyvale ( Store managed by a HopHead - better beer selection than most BevMo's )

Yeah I'm in sunnyvale riht now, went there last nite and got a rodenbach grand cru... sweetly sour yummy yay :) I also hung out in the brew area w/ the brewer at Firehouse last nite :)

Back