leaking corny keg at rubber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnotHeadGrady

Reaction score
Hey guys I am very disappointed to find out that two of the corny kegs I just bought are leaking. I filled them with water and the water was trickling out of where the rubber and metal meets at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to fix them so they will hold pressure and beer?

Is this under ambient pressure, or pressurized?

The rubber is just glued onto the bottom of the keg. If it's leaking anywhere other than a post/poppet/dip tube/lid, it means there's a crack and I'd say the only way to fix it is to weld it. To be honest, I wouldn't feel safe using a keg that can't even hold liquid at a modest pressure.

Where'd you buy the kegs?

What zachattack said with the exception that sometimes a leak at the post will escape under the rubber at the top of the keg. Leaks like that sometimes pop out in weird places around the rubber handle but can be fixed by replacing the rubber dip tube seal. If its leaking near the bottom nowhere near the posts or lid, its scrap metal.

You sure the kegs are leaking or are just holding water between the rubber and keg? This area traps water on some kegs and will "leak out" as you tip the keg around. Like a bowl of water. Just drain it out and pressurize them up and let us know!

Yeah it's not leaking anywhere near the poppet. It's just under ambient pressure and it seems water is coming from where the rubber on the bottom meets the metal. I would pressurize but these are pin lock and I only have ball lock connectors at the moment. I'll look into this water being held between the rubber hypothesis. Thanks all

20130131_140353.jpg

Here's where the water comes from

Fill the keg with water. add some food coloring. pressurize if you'd like. sit it on a paper towel. if the paper towel is wet and colored, the keg is leaking. If it is just wet, it is water trapped from between the rubber and the metal.

Yeah it's not leaking anywhere near the poppet. It's just under ambient pressure and it seems water is coming from where the rubber on the bottom meets the metal. I would pressurize but these are pin lock and I only have ball lock connectors at the moment. I'll look into this water being held between the rubber hypothesis. Thanks all

get out the 7/8th wrench and swap the posts with your ball lock keg?

Great idea doc! Haha gbx you're an f in genius. I literally just thought of this before reading this. totally going to do that to check pressure

Great idea doc! Haha gbx you're an f in genius. I literally just thought of this before reading this. totally going to do that to check pressure

Careful, not all keg posts are the same, and it's easy to mess up the threads by trying to use a post fitting with slightly different threading than the post-
http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Thanks good to know. You know I'll just go pay the 16 bucks for the fittings it's not worth potentiality screwing up my keg or post.

Use a flashlight. and look inside the keg for any damage. If it is leaking you should be able to see the cause. Pressurize the keg and spray a mix of soapy water around the base and check for bubbles.

Thanks all especially doc and fermentingNEthing! I did the dye and no leaks, pressure tested and they passed. Upon close examination I see that the rubber HAD pulled away from the metal and it WAS just holding water that spilled in as I filled it. Glad I posted

Hey guys I am very disappointed to find out that two of the corny kegs I just bought are leaking. I filled them with water and the water was trickling out of where the rubber and metal meets at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to fix them so they will hold pressure and beer?

I had the same issue with a pin-lock keg I bought from midwestsupplies back in December. I called them yesterday and they were quick to say they would credit my account if I covered the cost of shipping it back. I said that wasn't cool because I bought it for 1/2 the current cost and I want another keg. The guy agreed and said they are sending me another keg at no charge. I asked if they want the leaking keg and they said to just recycle it. Excellent customer service!

Latest posts

Back