I want lots of bubbly!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjbobbin82

Reaction score
Hi there, so as the title states, I like a good carbed beverage. I'm making a gallon batch of cider with an OG of 1.065 and I'm using Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast. Can anybody tell me the best way to go about getting a somewhat furious carbonation? (much like a champagne) without using a keg or force carbing? I'd assume that champagne bottles would be best.

I'm not worried about clearing, I would like to keep some apple notes as well if at all possible. Maybe not letting it ferment out all the way? Not too worried about backsweetening either, just want lots of carbonation! What would be a good (and 'relatively' safe) FG to bottle at and should I add priming sugar if I'm not going to let it dry out?

Champagne is carbed to about 5-6 volumes of pressure, about twice that of beer or most ciders. Not positive, but I think most beer bottles aren't rated to hold this much pressure, so champagne bottles are the way to go.

Priming sugar calculators can help you figure out how much sugar to add to a batch http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

The safest way to make this would be to ferment dry, prime, and bottle. I'd avoid pasteurizing bottles with that much carbonation, but cold-crashing may be an option if you want to have some sweetness.

Thanks for the reply and the link, I do plan on cold crashing and storing bottles in the fridge, no pasteurization.

Back