Lager season ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StealthBrewer

Reaction score
Hi. Brand new to brewing and this forum. People are saying its lager season now. I am finding out that if I am going to do a lager (with lager yeast) I need to keep the temperature pretty low which living in an apartment, keeping a constant low temp could be a problem. I bought a few kits to get me started and without knowing, I bought one for a black lager. I think the instructions called for keeping a fermenting temp at somewhere between 47 and 52 degrees. I did see an idea on here to put frozen 2 liter bottles in a Tupperware to keep it chilled. Any ideas? Does fall lager season mean that I could put my carbon outside if the weeks highs and lows fall in range ??

I guess Lager season means that the temperature is getting so that one can ferment the beer outside (balcony, outhouse etc) and get a decent result. Lager wants to be fermented a good bit lower than ale as you mention. One problem with fermenting outdoors is that the temperature can swing wildly. Not so good for either fermenting or lagering (storing).
This being said I have heard of several brewers getting good results from letting their lager ferment outdoors in the fall season, and the temperature naturally drops down for the lagering the next couple of months. Watch it so it doesn't freeze (depending on where you live of course).

And definitely keep it out of the sun! If you were to put it in the large Tupperware container as you mentioned, the added water would do a lot to regulate temperature swings. Put a blanket over it to block the sun and try to keep an eye on temps so you can adjust as necessary (on some nights when it is supposed to get especially cold, you may even need to add warm water to the tub). Good luck and happy brewing!

I think for most lager season means people's basements are getting cold. For homeowners this means placing fermenter on the basement floor and it stays pretty cold without any additional work. You would probably want to look into a swamp cooler, I have heard they work well. So, pretty much the tupperware with ice bottles.

Swamp cooler is a container with water in it that you place your FV in,usually placing frozen pop bottles in it to keep the temperature down. Swamp coolers work very well.

Back