Blending Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazed0318

Reaction score
Couldn't find anything on this by searching so tought I'd ask. Has anyone ever blended kits together and if so any luck doing so?

I've been curious to blending, I love blended reds! I actually got a kit called trinity red a blend; cab sav, cab franc, and merlot. I think it's by cellar classics. Haven't started it yet, I've been cranking out whites for the summer. So there's an option, but I also stumbled upon an app the other day for blending wines. I didn't download it because it wasnt free, but the apps are out there.

Happy blending!

I blended my blackberry wine with Alexander Sun Country Kits... Also have blended white wine with Apple wine....

I too love blended reds and would wonder how this would come out. THough if you think about it, most belnds have a predominant grape used and then has smaller percentages of ther grapes. Like 80% Zin, 11% merlot, 9% cab or something along those lines. You would be using a very small portion of the other kits. Unless you go ahead and buy 3 kits and make 3 different blends, each with a different major grape? Might be fun though!

For those that like the red blends, try Menage et trois or Pillar Box Red. Great $10 red blends.

I plan to blend at least 1 one gallon of peach and raspberry from Vinters Harvest....

I had a chance to talk with the wine maker at a vineyard recently. He said his wines would be 60 to 70% of one type. He would experiment with each crop until he found the right blends. Every year the blend would be different.

I was at a winery in Livermore, CA and our small group of 6 was the only guests at the winery. The owner took us into the wine processing area and let us do barrel tastings and let us experiment with blending several wines in our glasses. (Side note...not once during any of this did they sterilize or even rinse off the wine thief) It takes very little of a percentage to make a big difference, but the change drops quickly after that. Like a 90% Cab to a 10% merlot is OK, a 85% to 15% is fantastic a 70% to 30% doesn't change it much and 50/50 is bland.

You will need to experiment to find that "tipping point" of flavors.

Good opinions/ideas from all...bottom line sounds like experimenting is the key to success....and I'm all about experimenting!

Back