10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadCase4Life

Reaction score
I have been brewing 5 gallon batches for years. I recently started getting kegs to convert and upgrade to 10 gallon batches. I have several recipes for 5 gallons that I have nailed down pretty good. My question is do I simply double everything in my recipe? Any tips or things learned from other experiences would be great. Thanks

basically, yes its just double everything.

a tip for fermenting- if you are using 5gal fermentors and 5gal kegs (or 5 gallon bottling bucket for that matter), you will need to split the batch into two of them; when you go to keg (or bottle) take 2.5gal from each fermentor and put it into keg#1, then take the other 2.5gal from each and combine them in keg#2. that way both kegs will taste more similar.

Might have to check your boil off rate. In my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, I boil off one gallon per hour. In my 20 gallon stock pot, I boil off 2 gallons per hour due to the increased surface area. I just account for this with my sparge volumes. Otherwise, yes, just double everything.

basically, yes its just double everything.

a tip for fermenting- if you are using 5gal fermentors and 5gal kegs (or 5 gallon bottling bucket for that matter), you will need to split the batch into two of them; when you go to keg (or bottle) take 2.5gal from each fermentor and put it into keg#1, then take the other 2.5gal from each and combine them in keg#2. that way both kegs will taste more similar.

?

Don't go to all that trouble. Just keg them seperately. You won't notice any difference at all.

As mentioned above, just double everything. And adjusting your boil off rate is a good call.

Before I had my conical and brewed 10 gallons split between 2 buckets I did sometimes have slight differences when I kegged them. Most likely it was due to more trub getting into the 1st bucket vs. the 2nd or more volume in one. Or possible the markings in my yeast flask are were not very accurate and one got a higher pitching rate when I split it. So before I got the conical I just rigged up a T in my kettle drain hose and split it into two hoses so it drained evenly into my 2 buckets. I don’t know if it really helped since I moved to the conical shortly after but it made me feel that I was being more accurate with things. :mug:

Edit: So I wouldn’t go through trouble of mixing batches in the keg just try to get the same amounts into the fermenters (wort and yeast) and you should be good to go.

I second (or third) the motion to not worry about blending before keg/bottle. In fact, I advise you to try to make the two 5 gallon batches as different as possible. Pitch different yeasts, ferment at different temps, dry hop with different types of hops, add fruit/spice/coffee/bacon/whatever to one and leave the other plain.

There is no better time to experiment with different post-boil processes than when you have the exact same wort in two (or more) different fermentors. Its cutting the time that it will take for you to come up with the PERFECT recipe to your tastes.

For instance I dryhopped one fermenter with Cascade, the other with Hallertau (it was all I had left) in my most recent batch of IPA. Normally I would think that I would prefer the Cascade, but I actually seem to like the Hallertau better. Tastes more like an English or East Coast IPA, very much like Great Lakes Commodore Perry.

On my last batch 1 is choco stout the other plain stout works great to play. Also a few batches ago did oatmeal raisin in 5 left the other 5 plain. Like both. To each his own.

Back