air lock broken during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetchicken6

Reaction score
I was moving my 5 gallon batch of all to the freezer after day 5 of fermintation when I bumped the airlock with my leg and the 1/4 gasket fell into the plastic bucket. Right now the gasket is in the beer and I have the air lock pushed down to the bucket held firmly with tape. I know this is not a perfect seal. I am worried about oxidation, what should I do, move to a secondary or is it to soon

I was moving my 5 gallon batch of all to the freezer after day 5 of fermintation when I bumped the airlock with my leg and the 1/4 gasket fell into the plastic bucket. Right now the gasket is in the beer and I have the air lock pushed down to the bucket held firmly with tape. I know this is not a perfect seal. I am worried about oxidation, what should I do, move to a secondary or is it to soon

It's in an ale pail now, and the gasket fell in? If so, that's ok. duct tape or something will hold your airlock in place if you feel you need it. In a freezer, the concern I have with an airlock is that it'll suck back the liquid from the airlock when you drop the temperature.

Any particular reason you decided to drop the temperature on day 5? I'm just curious- I've never heard of that before.

I think your fine. The CO2 blanket on top of the beer will keep O2 from getting to it. Just make sure not to shake the bucket up too much.

Back