What's your ingredient cost per pint?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running in the ~$0.30-$0.43/pint range for medium ABV brews (under ~6.5%)... Higher ABV brews run me about $0.45-$0.60/pint...

I'm using grain from a group purchase, harvested/washed yeast (whenever possible) and hops bought in bulk. Doing all that, even my big barley wine recipe is coming in at under $22 for 5 gallons.

Ingredient costs for a 10 Gallons of Blonde Ale (malt, hops, yeast, defoamer and Irish moss) work out to about $0.17 a pint.

A rather heavily hopped IPA runs $0.54 a pint.

USD its 2.70 a leter :p

but everything is taxed to hell in Norway regarding alcohol, thats still 5x cheaper than buying crap beer in supermarkets.

Just guesstimating for a 12-plato beer.

9 lbs base malt: $7.50 - $10, depending on brand
1 lbs specialty/crystal malts: $1.50-$2, depending on type
1.5 oz hops: $1.20-$2.90, depending on type
Yeast, dry: $4 or Yeast, liquid: $9
Misc salts, whirlfloc, etc: $1
Propane: $3
CO2: $2

Total: $0.50 to $0.75 per pint, roughly (not including cost for water).

Ingredient costs for a 10 Gallons of Blonde Ale (malt, hops, yeast, defoamer and Irish moss) work out to about $0.17 a pint.

My ingredient cost work out about the same. But I have to add 4¢ a pint for propane and oxygen.

It's a hobby for me so I no more care nor would calculate this than the cost of playing a hole of golf. The ROI is the leisure, not the beer.

I just started a blueberry ale...didn't realize how expensive blueberries were! It's going to be like 3x the cost of the beer.

It's a hobby for me so I no more care nor would calculate this than the cost of playing a hole of golf. The ROI is the leisure, not the beer.

I figure golf costs by stroke not by hole. That way if I want to lower my cost I can take more strokes. At least that's my excuse.:D

Well, Just finishing up a 15 gallon batch of cider with 3068 so this batch was a little more expensive from the 2 smack packs of 3068 but the juice, corn sugar and yeast came to about .25 cents a pint.

I did 5 gallons of apfelwein this past Sunday. $3/gallon for juice, $0.40/gallon for brown sugar, $1.50 for yeast. $18.50 for the batch = $0.47 per pint.

I'm really surprised to see the difference in price between a homebrewed pint and a pint at the pub! (yes I know the implications/costs + taxes + etc for a brewery).

M_C

Well, Just finishing up a 15 gallon batch of cider with 3068 so this batch was a little more expensive from the 2 smack packs of 3068 but the juice, corn sugar and yeast came to about .25 cents a pint.

depends on the recipe obviously, but I've been running anywhere between $.25 to $.75 per pint.

I'm anywhere from .60 to 1.20 a bottle. That include everything. Grain, hops, yeast, bottles, propane, the whole works. And most of my brews average 7%.

I'm going to say $3.50 - $4.00 for six, on average. I will admit I haven't really worked it out in detail. Don't know how that works out for a pint. Guess it's pretty obvious my main motivation in brewing isn't to save money....

around $0.50 per pint... I just got a Foodsaver and I am starting to buy hops in bulk which should drop the price a bit.

I'm going to say $3.50 - $4.00 for six, on average. I will admit I haven't really worked it out in detail. Don't know how that works out for a pint. Guess it's pretty obvious my main motivation in brewing isn't to save money....

Knowing your cost is just another aspect of homebrewing. I don't look at it as a way to save money. It's no different then learning about Hops, Grain, Yeast, water.

Dang, the bars are making a killing charging $7 a pint then, aren't they??:mad:

If it's a brew pub, most likely... Well, depending on where they're taking a loss (they could be on other parts of the business, so this offsets that, helping them stay afloat)...

I find hops are my biggest expense that I could cut back on. I already buy bulk grain for cheap. But hops are costing me $1.99/oz unless I buy a pound at a time, and I'm concerned about shelf life. I also don't have freezer room for 10 different lb bags of hops.

No one in your area that you can share hops with?? I'm using just four varieties right now, so they don't take up much freezer space... Once I'm down to only one, or two, batches worth of hops, I'll be getting pound bags. First time I bought in bulk, I went for two 4oz packages of each type... Less than half the cost of what the LHBS was charging me. :rockin: I also know that I can probably get them a bit cheaper next time... Even more so if I order with a brew-buddy... Although, there's a good chance I won't be in MA when I need to order my next round of hops. :ban: :rockin:

No one in your area that you can share hops with?? I'm using just four varieties right now, so they don't take up much freezer space... Once I'm down to only one, or two, batches worth of hops, I'll be getting pound bags. First time I bought in bulk, I went for two 4oz packages of each type... Less than half the cost of what the LHBS was charging me. :rockin: I also know that I can probably get them a bit cheaper next time... Even more so if I order with a brew-buddy... Although, there's a good chance I won't be in MA when I need to order my next round of hops. :ban: :rockin:

I'm sure there is, but I mostly brew by myself or with people who don't brew. I guess I should join a club.

My house beer an irish red I play with is roughly .40/pt. It can vary a little with the hop bill but is pretty close. I added in labor, utilites, and overhead. I can pretend!

I find hops are my biggest expense that I could cut back on. I already buy bulk grain for cheap. But hops are costing me $1.99/oz unless I buy a pound at a time, and I'm concerned about shelf life. I also don't have freezer room for 10 different lb bags of hops.

farmhousebrewingsupply.com sells hops in 4oz packages. I bought 1lb of Cascade and Centennial on a group buy and still have a bunch leftover and I'm kinda getting tired of making Centennial IPAs. I like farmhouse because 4oz is a great amount for a lot of beers.

farmhousebrewingsupply.com sells hops in 4oz packages. I bought 1lb of Cascade and Centennial on a group buy and still have a bunch leftover and I'm kinda getting tired of making Centennial IPAs. I like farmhouse because 4oz is a great amount for a lot of beers.

+1 on Farmhouse Brewing Supply for getting hops and other things. One of the people there (think it's the main guy) posts on these forums.

I used them to get 2# of hops, four different varieties (8oz each), so that I'd be good for a while. I'm still going through them, so you don't need to get a pound at a time. The cost of the 2#, delivered, was less than I would have paid for just one pound at the LHBS.

There are other places where you can get less than a full pound of hops at decent prices, so shop around to see who has the hops you actually want, at the time. This is another case where the more you buy, the cheaper each ouce becomes.

Something else that's nice about Farmhouse Brewing Supply... You can send an email to them and get a reply pretty fast. For something as basic as the gap setting for the grain if you get them to mill it for you...

+1 on Farmhouse Brewing Supply for getting hops and other things. One of the people there (think it's the main guy) posts on these forums.

That's me, John. Thanks for the kind words guys, Brew on!

I'm looking at just around $.22-$.30 for a pint. That includes propane and I usually just but new yeast when needed. I don't brew many big beers, lots of session ales.
I do have a wild ale fermenting with raspberry puree, that going to be in the
$.80 range due to the yeast, brett, raspberries.

Couldn't remember your name, exactly... Didn't want to say "John" only to have it be something like "Jim" or something really off like "Steve"... :D

BTW, using hops from FHBS, grains from a group buy, harvested/washed yeast, I'm about to make an English brown ale (on Thursday) that will cost me all of $0.23 per pint (just under $9.50 for the 5.25 gallons going into primary)...

I'm planning on figuring out how much propane I use per batch once I fill the tank up again. I started off with less than a full tank, and used it to boil for a 10 gallon batch (also conditioned the 60qt kettle with it the same day)... Once I can figure out how much propane I'm actually using per batch, and find a place to get it at a better rate, I'll be able to factor that into my brew cost...

For my most expensive beer, I have a IIIPA that I just stuck in the kegerator this weekend that is going to run me about $1.40/ pint in ingredient cost.

But, it has 21 lbs of grain and over a pound of hops in it.

Just guesstimating for a 12-plato beer.

9 lbs base malt: $7.50 - $10, depending on brand
1 lbs specialty/crystal malts: $1.50-$2, depending on type
1.5 oz hops: $1.20-$2.90, depending on type
Yeast, dry: $4 or Yeast, liquid: $9
Misc salts, whirlfloc, etc: $1
Propane: $3
CO2: $2

Total: $0.50 to $0.75 per pint, roughly (not including cost for water).

No one else noticed this ridiculous yeast cost? Where are you getting your liquid yeast Arcane? $9 is nuts.

No one else noticed this ridiculous yeast cost? Where are you getting your liquid yeast Arcane? $9 is nuts.

Not really. The big supply stores sell it for about $6.25, give or take a few, and their acquisition costs are much lower than for a small, local shop due to volume and less overhead. Could I save money by going online? Maybe, but the extra cost is more than offset by the peace of mind that the yeast doesn't have to take an extra multiday trip without proper cooling through the hot southern states, especially during summer.

Back