Question as to how big of a starter do I really need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaRules

Reaction score
So Im brewing an IPA and went to Mr. Malty for my starter calculation.

I entered: Ale, 1.064 OG, 12 gal.
I have 2 White Labs East Coast 008 vials. Best Buy 4/11/11 (Production = 1/11/11)

My question is do I really need 1.64 gallon starter? (6.22 Liters)
If I do need that big of a starter, the only starter container that I have that is big enough is a couple of milk containers, will they work? I don't see an issue with them as they are food safe plastic and as long I can sanitize them.

But really 1 1/2 gallon starter????

Please let me know if what to do?

For a 12 gallon batch on a moderately big beer with no agitation, 1.64 gallons sounds about right.

On Mr. Malty, if you say that you'll intermittently shake the starter it goes down to 4.78 liters. Stir plate brings it down to 3.11.

Yeah, sounds right here too. Sorta makes a stirplate pay for itself quickly....

I have a stirplate :rockin: but didnt think it was that it made that big of a deal! :drunk:
Guess I should have looked at all the options!:eek:

The other question I have is will a milk jug work? Its on my stir plate now but its not making a cyclone yet.

Another question: i have the milk jug on the stir plate, I see water movement but no cyclone, is the movement of the water good enough?

Short answer yes if you are at least keeping the yeasties in suspension you are going to get results. As far as a milk jug meh sounds like its working.

I've never used a milk jug but I have seen other people on here that have. The thing I remember them saying was that it was a one time use item. They never cleaned and reused them for multiple starters.

The other question I have is will a milk jug work? Its on my stir plate now but its not making a cyclone yet.

You don't need a cyclone. You don't even need much of a funnel. If there's any indentation on the surface or indication of the mass of liquid swirling, the yeast will be in suspension and there will be constant gas exchange, which is all you're really looking for.

BTW a 4/11/11 best buy date equals a 12/11/10 production date. White labs dates are 4 months, not 3, after production. So, you actually may have needed to make a bigger starter

A stir plate double to triples the amound of yeast made! One of the best brewing purcheses I ever made.

Back