How long of a rest time do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
I've been unable to hit my FG on my batches (I'm new to AG).

My method is a cooler, with a braid. I put in 1 1/4 quarts to gallons of water at appropriate temp, then sift in crushed grains and stir. I usually hit my temp fine.

I then rest for 60 mins.

After that 60 mins, I crack open my valve and keep the grain bed covered with hot sparge water (175-180). I use a screen that splatters the water to ensure I don't channel.

I continually adjust my valve to draw off two gallons every 10 minutes, and end up with roughly 6.5 gallons after 35 mins.

My OG is usually pretty close to the target, but a couple weeks later my FG stays about 5 points too high, once was even 10 points to high.

I'm new so I don't know if my sparge temp or rest time is doing something to the sugars that won't let them be converted by the yeast.

not time, but temp.

mashing low (148-153) will produce a highly fermentable wort

mashing high (155-159) will produce a not-so-fermentable wort.

It has depended on the style of beer for the rest temperature.

Usually 155-158 for 60 mins, then I sparge with water at 175-180 for another 30 mins.

Motobrewer, assuming that I'm mashing at 158, is that going to throw my FG off by as much as ten points? I've been following the mash temps of the recipe when it's been given.

I'll definitely try keeping it under 155 for a while and seeing if that makes it all better.

One particularly bad example was my attempt and BierMuncher's OktoberFAST. In the recipe he says to mash at 158 and have a FG of 1.017, but mine was at 1.025. :O

If I keep my temp down to 155 or less, do I need to worry about the fact that it is in water for 90 minutes total?

The purpose of sprinkling the sparge water over the grain bed is not meant to prevent channeling, it is meant to prevent the grain bed from being disturbed. With a braid, you could still be getting some channeling. Also, the crush could be a major factor here. Some HBS crush fairly coarse to prevent their customers from getting stuck sparges, the problem with that is lower efficiency. Check your crush and perhaps try doing it a bit finer. You might also try adding something like S2 to your mash water to ensure your pH is right.

Latest posts

Back