Is it legal to run store-bought vodka through a still?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spasticteapot

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making some gin, but I'm told that to really do it properly, you want to run it through a still. Assuming I buy my booze from the store, is it kosher to do this?

Yes, in order to make gin, you would need to distill it. In order to do that, you need to be licensed. In TX, it's about $1600 - $2400 per year, depending on where. In a lot of states, it's illegal, period. The mods will wipe this post I'm sure. They weird out (understandably) when you start talking about things that could be illegal. - Dwain

There is no such thing as homebrew distillation (but you can concentrate beer, supposedly). In order to distill ANY product in ANY state you have to get a license. I don't know the details, but Michigan recently started allowing micro-distilling. Basically it's an inexpensive way for micro brewers to get into distilling. I highly doubt the public would care to spend that kind of money on a license, even if they met the criteria.

Back