American Barleywine Friend of the Devil Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
one litre
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Red Star Champagne Priming
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Thick and chewy with a thick long lasting tan head
5 gallons on August 31, 2008
Total grain - 20.5 lbs
OG - 1.100
Boil time - 120 mins

Grain bill in lbs

5.50 - Marris Otter
5.00 - Pale malt
2.00 - Vienna malt
1.00 - Munich malt
1.00 - Carapils
1.00 - Crystal 40L
0.50 - Aromatic malt
0.50 - Torrified wheat
3.00 - DME
3.00 oz - Chocolate malt
1.00 - unrefined Mexican cane sugar @ flameout

Hops
2,15 oz Centennial leaf first wort
1.10 oz Centennial leaf 60 mins
1.10 oz Cascade leaf 30 mins
1.05 oz Cascade leaf 15 mins

White Labs WLP001 California Ale starter

Bulk age in the cellar for 7 months

FG 1.028 Alcohol by volume 9.6%

Bottled March 30, 2009 on one packet Red Star Champagne yeast

Bulk age in the secondary. In this case, a 5-gallon carboy tucked away in a dark corner of my "wine cellar" in the basement, just as in the photo below. In fact, I believe the carboy on the upper left is the Barleywine in question. Be careful to keep the airlock topped up - the vodka tend to evaporate in about 4-6 weeks.

100_1370.jpg

It's a good big malty barleywine but it's lost much of the hops. If I had it to do over again I'd double both the bittering and finishing hops.

Yes... I would love to hear an update. I have most of this instock... including the centennial, which I am not a huge fan of... but this might work. Or maybe sub it for the columbus that I am still not sure why I bought!

What were your IBU's? What amount of bittering would you look for the second time?

Regarding the Red Star Champagne yeast, do you add it to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar solution?

could you clear up a few things? I'm just a beginner with only one extract batch under my belt, but after maybe two more batches i might just step up to all-grain. I might just do this for my very first AG batch and I'm going around researching for all grain while saving up for my next two kits and for stepping up. btw what was your mash temp/temps and your liquor to grist ratio in this recipe?

what are those awesome continers you have the carboys in and where can one buy them.

The containers came from a local Culligan drinking water vendor. They're designed to hold 5-gallon carboys and since they've moved to plastic they didn't need them any longer. I picked up four of them.

This Barleywine is now 3 1/2 years old and I still have 8-10 bottles left. Last summer it took Best of Show at the local county fair among 80+ very good beers judged by BJCP judges. It's lasted as long as it has because I simply don't care for the style. I bring out a bottle every now and then at gatherings and it's a big hit among those who appreciate the style.

PM me and I'll send you my address if you need help getting rid of one of those bad boys. You know, just in case you need the bottles for something ;).
That sounds like a great recipe. I have my Barleywine sitting in the secondary right now, got until November to drink it..

This would be a little over five and a half years old now. Do you have any left? If not, when did you uncork the last bottle and how was it compared to the first ones?

Back