Full Boil without Kettle Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
Once the boil is complete/wort cooled... Do you just dump that sucker into the primary? Any useful techniques?

Once the boil is complete/wort cooled... Do you just dump that sucker into the primary? Any useful techniques?

That's what I've done. It might be a little awkward to handle so you might need a 2nd set of hands. I always just get my g/f to help me. I just pour it straight into the primary through a large funnel that I bought from NB.

Yep, man up and pick it up and pour it into primary. I pour mine through a strainer to aerate/get the hops and sediment out.

Yep, man up and pick it up and pour it into primary. I pour mine through a strainer to aerate/get the hops and sediment out.

Easier said than done! I am too much of a wimp to do that, so I siphon the first 1/2 or so with my sanitized autosiphon, and then lift and pour the rest through a colander over the primary.

(I guess I gotta lift more weights!)

No problem in just dumping it right in.

I don't know if it's overkill, but I usually use a 5 gallon paint filter either over the top of the bucket or over the funnel into the carboy. I like the finer mesh compared to a colander.

With my 40qt:

Drop immersion chiller in last 15 minutes to sanitize.

Lift pot off stove and onto steel typewriter table placed right next to stove - don't walk with hot wort.

Roll into range of sink, connect chiller to sink, run chiller.

Stir in an effort to whirlpool crud to center, and aid chilling.

When down to temp, pull chiller out and stir around the outside, aiming for the big pile of crud in the center of the pot. Put top on pot, wait a few minutes.

Put sanitized pot scrubber on end of racking cane, fill sanitized siphon with boiled and cooled water, plunk in pot (near side, away from pile of crud in middle), let go, pinch off when wort reaches end of hose, move hose to fermenter, let go. When wort level is low, tip pot up to get more wort out, even though it also means fighting the crud. Somewhere in here remember to grab a hydrometer sample.

Cap and shake fermenter, pitch yeast, install airlock.

Dumping 40-50 lbs of wort is not my idea of a good time, especially since minor errors in aim are very expensive and annoying when dumping - much less so with siphoning (or pumping, if you have the technology).

I vote overkill. I have never filtered after boiling, that some good stuff in there...

I just use sanitized 1" ID food grade tubing to siphon from the kettle to the carboy. The splashing as the wort goes into the carboy helps to aerate, too.

I had a couple close calls when pouring, and going through all the work of brewing only to drop the kettle and spill the wort all over is not something I'd like to experience.

I have poured it into a carboy through a stainer and funnel. The whole hops layer the strainer and act like a filter for finer particulates. MAKE SURE your funnel has ridges to allow the air in the carboy to escape.
I have to think an auto siphon is easiest but might get clogged with hops. Charlie

dump it all in, it settles out in the carboy.

when i use my keg mash tun and my stockpot with spigot, i filter at every stage.

when i'm using my "tea-bag" method with stockpot and no spigot, i don't filter at all.

both methods turn out fantastic brews.

No fear of over-bittering from the hops?

Boiling brings out the bittering in the hops (the normally insoluble alpha acids are isomerized during the boil). If you're done boiling, they are done releasing their bittering compounds. You can strain them out if you want, but no harm will come if you leave them.

:Thumbs up:

I figured that but I've always been straining anyway. I'll try my next batch without straining and I'm certain that I'll appreciate the time savings.

You can strain them out if you want, but no harm will come if you leave them.
I figured that but I've always been straining anyway. I'll try my next batch without straining and I'm certain that I'll appreciate the time savings.
The only exception to this is if you plan to reuse the yeast cake. Depending on what you are brewing next, it could be a good idea to strain out as much of the old hops as possible. I whirlpool and then use a muslin sack to strain.

Wort Straining01.jpg

Yea, that just did not look right. I would be crying like a little baby.
I just take a racking cane, rack into my carboy and if some crude racks in, it settles. I have dumped massive double IPA's using pellets completely into a carboy, no bad effects at all. It settles on the bottom and is covered up quickly.

I racked it with my autosyphon, using an ounce of whole hops in the boil, It didnt suck in crap or clog the syphon. No hops or junk in carboy. I think ill invest in one of those strainer funnels. They look large enough to areate the wort alot, and catch alot of the crap, and if it gets stuck. Dump it out, and start pouring again. Ive been fast and nasty and slow and carefull. Every time the beer has come out good. Just how much junk do you want to clean out of bottom of carboy, and how clean do you want your yeast if you saving?

Back