5 Gallon measurement height on a 6.5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 Haro Designs

Reaction score
Forgive the noob question (I've had a string of them) but can anyone shed light on the measured height of the 5 gallon mark on a 6.5 gallon carboy.

I'm sure each carboy is a little different in diameter but I doubt they are THAT different that it wouldn't be a somewhat standard height.

Yes, I could dump 5 gallons of water in mine and make a mark (and I probably will) but if it was off a quart or two would it make a big difference anyway?

Thanks,
Mike

I used to have a piece of tape attached to the side of my carboy that showed me where the five gallon mark was. As you've already stated, you probably won't get a really reliable measurement since everyone's carboys might be different from your own.

If you are going to measure by pouring water in anyway, you may as well pour it in a gallon at a time and then mark the gallon increments with tape or by some other means. Then you will at least have more than just the five gallon mark.

(slaps head with hand) Good point, I'll need those other marks anyway. That was a REALLY dumb noob question.

I apologize.

We all start somewhere. Welcome to the continual learning process titled "Home Brewing".

Dude if I had a nickel for every time I had a noob question I'd be able to afford that shiny new keggle I've been wanting.

Remember, there's probably several other people reading this forum that will learn from your question so there's no need to apologize for asking.

Happy Brewing!

IMO getting exactly the right final volume is irrelevant. You should be looking for a correct initial gravity when topping off water. Add enough so the gravity's not too high, and don't dilute it too much so the gravity is too low. Hitting the right volume has no impact on the final beer, you'll just have more or less, hitting the right OG will have a impact on the taste of the beer (although even if you miss, it'll still likely be very good, just not true to the recipie).

My 2 cents.

Last night before I boiled my second batch, I filled up both fermentors and my carboy one gallon at a time with water and marked each gallon with a line drawn with a permanent marker. On the outside of the containers, not on the inside!

Seemed to work perferctly for me and I got the batch really close to exactly 5 gallons. Might be overkill, but never hurts to be careful.

I appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. It's pretty cool that the "vets" come in here and poke around and help us noobs out.

I'll have to remember that when I graduate from this basement.

That was a REALLY dumb noob question.

/mild rant mode on

man - i REALLY get tired of self deprecation ... yea we all do it and as a novice brewer it seems that you're more apt to grovel and prostrate yourself so hopefully someone will answer your question and not flame you for not using the search - which on most forums can get tedious especially if you are new and don't know really what to look for - and hoping and praying someone won't take a jab at you cause you are obviously new.

homebrewers for the most part are really laid back ppl - slow to rile and most of us are always willing to help out novice brewers.

i especially look back at some of the questions i asked before i joined our club and gained that wealth of knowledge. wow just down right embarrassing but ya know what - i learned. some people don't have the brain trust that is a homebrew club and come online to find knowledge.

i don't think they should have to be made to feel second rate and i really irks me to see the novice in self deprecation mode because he thinks this is like the uber l33t h@xor channel on irc.

yea from time to time we will get in an uproar - especially if you're sweeping feathers up with your dry yeast off the floor and using it, but for the most part we're here to help. yes even the novice. we were all a novice at one time or another

brewhead -

you never threw your rant switch back off when you were done. I don't want to firing off the next time you draw forgetting it was on.

Thanks for not be-rating me! This place is getting more comfortable already.

(slaps head with hand) Good point, I'll need those other marks anyway. That was a REALLY dumb noob question.

I apologize.

:drunk:

I had the same problem. I have a 6.5gal better bottle and I realized I didn't know how much to top it off cause I didn't know where the 5 gal mark is ...DOH!!

Luckily Better Bottle website has a picture marking where the 5gal is approx on the bottole. So I just eyeballed it..its not a perfect 5gal but its good enough.

I mark 5, 5.5 and 6 gallons on the side of mine so I know where I am at when adding to the carboy. For full boils, I don't see the importance of having marks that are smaller than that. On my first carboy ever, I measured out 5 gallons and put a vinyl sticker on the side. Sticker is still holding strong. Another, I used a sharpie and clear packing tape. that worked well, too.

:drunk:

I had the same problem. I have a 6.5gal better bottle and I realized I didn't know how much to top it off cause I didn't know where the 5 gal mark is ...DOH!!

Luckily Better Bottle website has a picture marking where the 5gal is approx on the bottole. So I just eyeballed it..its not a perfect 5gal but its good enough.

Thank you for that! I forgot to measure out 5gal when I brewed yesterday, so I 'eyeballed' it like you did and fortunately, I got it right by that chart.

Back