Beer Samples in the LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure it's OK...they aint' selling it. Mine doesn't have a keggerator or anything, but I have had "samples" while I was there. :mug:

Im sure its local homebrews from people just like you.
Go in, enjoy one and try and pick out some ingredients they used, if you really enjoy it ask the owner if the recipe is available.

If its on tap at a LHBS it would have to be pretty decent IMO. Ive seen some crazy homebrews at festivals! Limey Cream ale, Smoked IPA.

If they're doing it you can be pretty damn sure they've looked into the legality of it, since they risk losing their business license if it's not. My only concern would be whether they actively check IDs for age, since serving to minors can get you fined and arrested. Sounds like a good practice to move their kits, though. Let someone try the beer and if they like it they can buy a kit.

took my first trip to my LHBS and sure enough they had samples to bad i didnt see it till i was walking out wit my arms full of stuff lol

Im sure its local homebrews from people just like you.
Go in, enjoy one and try and pick out some ingredients they used, if you really enjoy it ask the owner if the recipe is available.

If its on tap at a LHBS it would have to be pretty decent IMO. Ive seen some crazy homebrews at festivals! Limey Cream ale, Smoked IPA.

Boss man brews(extract) out in the parking lot right in front of the shop....he has a "brew" class almost every other weekend....I think he brews one of the three beers he has on tap, cuz it's always the same stuff

Boss man brews(extract) out in the parking lot right in front of the shop....he has a "brew" class almost every other weekend....I think he brews one of the three beers he has on tap, cuz it's always the same stuff

It's especially effective if it's brewed as part of a class. Then people get to come back and taste the beer and really understand the whole process.

One of my LHBS has 3 homebrews on tap for free samples. The other LHBS is licensed to sell beer and has an extensive bottle collection, sells commercial kegs, and has about 5 taps for craft keg samples and growler sales.

I love the free samples at the one while I shop...but also love to get a growler or 32oz grenade of my favorite craft beer to go at the other for a decent price.

All I know is if I had a LHBS, I'd definitely have something on tap for the customers!

My LHBS has samples as well. They brew on premises. A lot of times when I go in there, one of the guys is brewing.

The one I go to has a fridge with three taps. Is this ok? They have 3-4 oz cups for samples. Does your LBHS have samples?

Pretty sure it's illegal unless they have a liquor license. A public business is not allowed to give away free alcohol.

Beer laws vary wildly from state to state and even in municipalities. In MS we have dry counties where some of the cities can sell alcohol but if you get caught with it in the county you can be fined.
I think free samples are great but I bet they are illegal here.

From what I understand here in MS they can sell the homebrew supplies but it is illegal for an individual to make beer without a license.

Pretty sure means nothing

Well I know that when I was looking into starting a Brew on Premise business the CA ABC specifically stated that sampling of beer, free or othewise, was not allowed without an alcohol license. I don't know why this would be different.
Don't get me wrong....I think it's a great idea...it is just technically illegal

Mine does. But i think it depends on state to state. I also don't know if it's legal to do so in some that offer it but you know don't ask dont' tell.

Well I know that when I was looking into starting a Brew on Premise business the CA ABC specifically stated that sampling of beer, free or othewise, was not allowed without an alcohol license. I don't know why this would be different.
Don't get me wrong....I think it's a great idea...it is just technically illegal

I've been to LHBSes in CA to give samples.

I'm pretty sure the LBHS I visit most often gives out samples, and they're located next door to the Sherrif's office.

I'm pretty sure the LBHS I visit most often gives out samples, and they're located next door to the Sherrif's office.

Which just goes to show...that no one cares about enforcing homebrew laws!!:ban:

I know of homebrewers who pour their beer at special events for businesses...i.e. art galleries, boutiques, grand openings, etc... I think what the ABC is afraid of is that people will start leaving "tips".

Apparently we both shop at the Brewmeister in Roseville??

The laws in CA are somewhat confusing. A client can go into a hair salon and get served a glass of wine, but they are not in the business of selling alcohol. I would assume the same goes for the LHBS since neither account holds an alcohol license. However, they cannot charge for it.

However, an off-premise licensed account must have a special license to serve samples (such as you see in some BevMo, Total Wine and Raley's stores).

If you sell alcohol, samples are restricted. However, I am not aware of any restriction for non-licensed accounts to give alcohol to customers (unless they were under age...that's a different law)

(I can't give you any statute numbers, but I worked in the CA beer industry for several years and I am not aware of any restrictions where sales are not involved)

Here is why I think it is illegal in the eyes of the ABC. If a business provides "free" alcohol to their customers it easy for them to include the price of the alcohol into the product or service they are selling. In the case of the LHBS say they raise the price of their grain a .10 cents/lb in order to pay for the "free" beer samples. They are then being compensated for providing beer. Of course this almost impossible to prove. The ABC knows this... thus the law that no business can give out "free" alcohol without the proper license.

My question is why do you care? Are you going to turn them in? I would say enjoy it and keep quiet before you get some unwanted attention.

My question is why do you care? Are you going to turn them in? I would say enjoy it and keep quiet before you get some unwanted attention.

I was waiting for someone to ask your questions.
Do I care ? no, just curious
Turn them in? Hell no
But you can bet next time I go there, I am going to ask them. As should everyone else just so they know what the law is, instead of saying, "I think"

JWDover,my lhbs,has Black Box Brewing on premises,but never a free sample of anything. You guys are lucky. I'd love t0 sample some brews while I'm shopping or waiting in line talkin.

Love me some samples! My LHBS samples on Saturdays, usually has 8-10 beers out to try, all of the same style for comparison. Great to hang out, drink some beer, and shoot the ****....and learn some stuff.

Here is why I think it is illegal in the eyes of the ABC. If a business provides "free" alcohol to their customers it easy for them to include the price of the alcohol into the product or service they are selling. In the case of the LHBS say they raise the price of their grain a .10 cents/lb in order to pay for the "free" beer samples. They are then being compensated for providing beer. Of course this almost impossible to prove. The ABC knows this... thus the law that no business can give out "free" alcohol without the proper license.

Actually most HBS that I know formulate their own recipe kits, then serve those recipe kits on draft. And yes there si some markup in recipe kits, but they're already brewing them up to test them out, why not share some with a prospective customer to sway them to try to buy a kit. Marking up grains is dangerous because you can chase customers elsewhere.

My local brepub gave out free pints for the first month they were open while they were waiting to get their licence.

I take a sixer in with me and we drink it then we start hitting his kegs. Next thing you know I am walking out with a ton more stuff that I need

Phunhog said:
At least in CA it is definetly illegal. In fact it is essentially the same as selling homebrew in the eyes of the law. http://calbevlaw.com/2010/12/11/when-is-an-alcoholic-beverage-license-needed/

I think you nailed it. Time to crack down on those hair salons offering free wine!

I should have figured...everything is regulated out here in the People's Republic of California. My favorite: Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship. Let's see them start cracking down on that one.

http://www.stupidlaws.com/animals-a...-feet-of-a-tavern-school-or-place-of-worship/

My LHBS had to stop the practice, but another one across town still does. It's about as silly as the 200 gallon limit and concealed carry permits. Government restrictions on life liberty and persut of hoppyness.

spoke with the bossman yesterday, he says it's all legal. No need to do a thing,,but if he would ever sell a sample for a nickel,,he could be in trouble

Walked into an LHBS on Thursday afternoon. Browsed a bit for little things I needed. Ended up walking out with a pyrex dropper, some vinyl tubing, a drilled stopper, and 5# of Dextrose. Paid out the nose for it. Should have waited.

There was a pile of samples sitting in sixer holders. Was even offered a few, but declined because I was in uniform.

Funny.

I haven't reviewed all the state laws but I know that some are explicit in that homebrewed beer has to be brewed and consumed at home. Even in the cases where small quantities are allowed to be removed from the home for evaluation purposes (comps), it's far from serving in a commercial setting for a commercial purpose. To be sure, the samples would be construed as marketing collateral even if it were just a friendly gesture to customers. I know a lot of homebrew shops do this and my guess is that it's very much a don't ask don't tell thing. I doubt many have consulted a lawyer about its legality.

I think the problem occurs when you are selling stuff AND giving away free beer. An example is that I sell t-shirts with my "brewery" logo on it. This is a legitimate business....I charge/collect state sales tax. Now let's say I sell somebody a t-shirt for 60 bucks but it comes with "free" beer. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the "real" product being sold is the beer...the t-shirt just makes the sale look legitimate.

Yeah,it'd be nice if JW Dover did this. He also runs Black Box Brewing out of the back of the shop. Looks like they just bottled a batch of Black Forest Lager yesterday as well. Love to have been able to try a sampl of that. Doing a black lager myself next week.

Back