Washed my used yeast, how do i start it back up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
I brewed a cider, started a few weeks ago, when I racked I washed my yeast and have it stored in my fridge, about to start another brew tomorrow and want to use that yeast, how do I get these puppies going again?

For a cider I normally just put it back in, no starter or anything.

Just make sure you pull it out tonight, and let it warm up to room temperature. Then you can decant it a little, swirl it around, and dump it in.

Also, what kind of yeast was it? If you made a very high alcohol cider, just remember that can stress your yeast out pretty good.

Wyeast cider/mead yeast. It can handle up to 18% alcohol, and my last batch was 11%. Do you think it's too stressed out?

I'm sure it does stress it out, but will need some more yeast experts to chime in on that.

You're good. Even the most stressed yeast can still turn out a great product for 2-3 generations (batches). Logically, that's how they get the same yeast varietal consecutively. FYI: aerate generously!!!

Back