beer glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
dunno if this has been covered or not, but i thought it would be cool to post a little DIY I have been working on. I have been using 22oz bottles to make drinking glasses for friends.

I picked up a $1.99 glass cutter and built a jig out of scrap 2x6. using a scroll saw, or saber saw, i cut two 45 degree angles and tried to get them as level as i could. i sanded some and eventually got red neck lever, or good enough. simply scored the glass with the cutter, heated it with a candle, dunked it into cold water, and pop! cleaned it up with a sander and dremel for beveled edges!

jig.JPG

score.JPG

flame1.JPG

glass.JPG

final.JPG

Make sure you wear all the proper safety equipment. Goggles and mask are a must as that glass dust is wicked!

I bought the glass cutter two weeks ago and haven't tried it yet. Is it secured to the jig via the clamp?

i've been doing this with wine bottles for a while. I use wet emery cloth to sand/polish the cut edge...

had on safety glasses, but did not wear a mask. worked outside with a huge shop fan blowing the dust away from me. I will wear more protective gear if i do this more in the future. I had to go back and re-post the picks, can you see them now? interested on how you guys are doing this underwater. what exactly are you using? how long does the polishing take?

This is awesome. I have tried the yarn and acetone trick but there are always small cracks by where the top breaks off so I haven't used them for drinking out of. I think I have another reason to head to home depot this weekend.

Thank you so much for posting this. I've seen photos of Stone glasses made from bottles and was curious as to how it was done. Stone brewery is my favorite. :rockin:

I personally like to score it, then pour hot water on the score. It was easier than the candle method, and the acetone string i never got a good line. You onlu want a light score once around the bottle.

the score should be very shallow, just once around. Just make sure you get the line all the way around

Nice. I have to try this. Thanks so much for posting. Now we need photos of people's completed bottle-glasses.

Back