New Baby Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkerugger

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I are having our first baby (its a boy!) on/about November 18th. As I have a reputation for brewing beer, I thought I would get one brewed to celebrate.

My friends are divided into two camps: "darker and hoppier the better" and "bmc ultra, please."

So, to try to appease them (and mostly myself) I was thinking of a nice brown - - - not too hoppy, not too malty, just something that reminds me of the best seasonal brews - those of fall!

Advice from you all? I've brewed Midwest's smooth nut brown ale, and recently caribou slobber from Northern and liked them both, but are they good for my diverse crowd? Any other suggestions?

And, finally, the name... I'm open for ideas with that, too.

Thanks!
Neil

hahahahahaha....don't worry about what your friends want to drink cause you won't be seeing much of them after Nov 18th (at least for a few months), and certainly not much celebrating with beer will be done. You know what celebrating is for new parents? Taking a nap.

Janet's Brown Ale is a good one if you have access to the recipe.

Congratulations!

hahahahahaha....don't worry about what your friends want to drink cause you won't be seeing much of them after Nov 18th (at least for a few months), and certainly not much celebrating with beer will be done. You know what celebrating is for new parents? Taking a nap.

Janet's Brown Ale is a good one if you have access to the recipe.

Congratulations!

Hahahah. We just had our first in June and I couldn't sleep for about three days solid. The fourth day was iffy. The first week I think I got about 20 hours of sleep total. I had a beer a few hours after the baby came, but unfortunately it wasn't my beer, because I didn't get around to bottling my first batch until the second week after the baby came. We called it Aftasie Ale after our daughter :)

It gets LOTS and lots better, and just because your schedule is different doesn't mean you can't enjoy some beer with friends :) You'll see how it's different and you'll adjust - remember it isn't the end of the world, though it kind of is the end of the world as you know it.

Congats! You're in for an awesome adventure.

Oh yeah, but if you can, definitely nap as much as you can. Spend the week before the baby comes in hibernation if you can :p

Pal, it's your baby. You aren't having her to please anyone else, why would you brew your beer to? Make something that's fantastic, perfect, and just what you want. Like your daughter is gonna be.

brew up something crafty...and then brew up a nice cream ale to satisfy the bmc'ers. 5 gallons a piece should be fine.

. If you are flying in from another area, an important online dating tip is to arrange for your own car and a hotel room. Do not disclose the name of your hotel and never allow your date to make the arrangements for you. <br />
<br />
Get yourself out of a jam. As a final online dating tip, never do anything you feel unsure about. If you are in any way afraid of your date, use your best judgment to diffuse the situation and get out of there. Your safety is much more important than one person's opinion of you

These are valid points -- I'd also suggest brewing something with high alcohol and IBUs that can be aged for some time. Make what you want and for god's sake: arrange for your own car!

I did the same for the day we found out the gender. Interestingly, I went with using up some random ingredients, tossed in a mix of roast steeping grains and some bittering hops. Called it "XXY" and it turned into a nice India Brown style... much like my kid has turned out: a mixture of unknowns coming together to make bitter, sweet and a constant surprise. :)

Latest posts

Back