Georgia Breweries Tours in Jeopardy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it's the Georgia Dept. of Revenue that is proposing the rule change not the "Capitol" which would indicate it was a proposed legislative change which it is not. The Georgia legislature is not currently in session ( thank goodness, hopefully they've done all the damage the can for this year.)

The rule change is to limit the amount of beer samples during the tour to 2 oz. per type and the max per tourist of 16 oz. or 8 different 2 oz. samples. If the brewer only had 4 types then the max. would be 8 oz.

This beauracracy to the best of my knowledge is not accountable to the general electorate. And this rule change is probably supported by BMC and the various local watering holes.

Good luck petitioning them.

I for one don't have a problem with the rule change.

I have gone to one of the Sweetwater "tours" on Friday afternoons. They charge for a glass and you get 6 tickets for refills. There is live music and hundreds of people dressed up with their cologne and polos as if it was happy hour. To be quite honest, it seems to me that this "tour" is more of and excuse to sell beer...um...glasses. Since they are a brewery they have the beer to be "sampled" on the tour so they don't have to have a liquor license (or whatever) like a bar would have to have. I can see why they would want to impose this restriction. If you want to serve beer like a bar then you should have to do the paperwork that a bar has to do.

The tours are a clever way to cover up the fact that you are running a couple-times-a-week happy hour.

But with that being said, I oppose this change since I oppose most government over regulation of what people (and small businesses) do on their own property.

Beerrific

I agree: on the one hand I oppose govt. restrictions but I feel the same way : these guys are just competeing with the local bars without the restriction the bars have or the liquor lic.

abracadabra said:
Beerrific

I agree: on the one hand I oppose govt. restrictions but I feel the same way : these guys are just competeing with the local bars without the restriction the bars have or the liquor lic.

The day I went I had like 6 glasses (well, they don't fill the glasses all the way) of the IPA. I didn't want to go to the bar after that!

Either way I don't care. If they pass this rule change then maybe they will open a brew pub or something. And let the tours be tours, and let the collar-poppers go to the bar while I take a tour!

Back