The portable keg for the everyman on the go. And for boating. (Home Draft)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
So here's my take on the Coors Light homedraft kit. I bought one, drank the beer, filled it with water, and went through about 15 CO2 cartridges, (8 oz, 12 oz, and 16 oz, (both kinds!)), and couldn't get it to hold gas. It would always blow the rubber seal in the reg housing. I tried dimes, I tried electrical tape, I tried o-rings.

Finally, I drilled a hole in the original cartridge that came with the system and JB welded in one of these:
cExJ9.jpg

$20 for an ebay regulator and I have this:
e8bXf.jpg

(I know the HD has an internal reg, but I didn't trust it. By only supplying 20 or so PSI to the HD thing, I don't risk the crappy plastic parts blowing out again).

The cooler fits the keg nicely.
P2baO.jpg

I use a 9 oz paintball tank and remote line I had lying around. I fill the tank off my 10# tank that I turn upside down and strap to my workbench, (don't worry, I'm safe).
kOK8p.jpg

Pretty eh?
ILBfu.jpg

Took it out on the boat...a lb or two of ice kept it cold while it sat in the 85* sun for hours and hours. Poured nice ice cold ESB the whole time. Great.

It's so great. Sat on the bow of my boat while we played in the water. The thing dispenses perfectly, just the right amount of head in each pour. I'm amazed at the engineering in a $20 keg of beer. The Coors was tough to choke down, but it's worth it.

I used to bring growlers and 1L flip tops out, but the problem was once one was opened, it had to be entirely consumed or else it went flat/oxidized. This thing allows me to bring out a healthy supply, (1.5 gal, or about 18 beers), and keep the remainder after the day is over without it going bad.

Seems like a lot of work for a little beer, but it really portable, compared to my 2 keg cooler.

:rockin:

Seems like a lot of work for a little beer, but it really portable, compared to my 2 keg cooler.

:rockin:

Yeah, see my sig for my offroading kegerator for when I want to transport more than 1.5 gallons at a time. That one isn't as easy to put on my boat though.

Back