Any ideas for clarifying this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etisdale

Reaction score
Hi, All. I've had this batch of beer going for about a month now (still in primary).

http://i37.tinypic.com/2uo50rt.jpg

I was planning on bottling this weekend, but, as you can see, there is a little problem with clarity. This is my third batch of beer recently, and I have not yet had this problem. I've added Whirlfloc to each batch, including this one.

I measured the gravity last weekend at 1.018, and the beer tasted fine. So, I don't think it is a contamination.

Any ideas on what's going on and how I can fix it? I'm thinking of racking to a secondary and adding some isinglass. Thanks!

I had a similar issue. I racked to a secondary, waited to get near finishing gravity, then I added 2t knox gelatin dissolved in 1c water for 30 min, then brought to 180 degrees- I let mine cool, a bit, then stirred it into my beer. Wait three days and you should be ready to bottle.

I hope I can achieve the same results.

Was that 2 tsp or 2 tbsp gelatin?

I hope it works as well for you, too. It's 2 tsp. Also, I didn't mention it's unflavored gelatin. I think it's usually used for making fruit preserves? Not sure. Let me know how it turns out!

I had a similar issue. I racked to a secondary, waited to get near finishing gravity, then I added 2t knox gelatin dissolved in 1c water for 30 min, then brought to 180 degrees- I let mine cool, a bit, then stirred it into my beer. Wait three days and you should be ready to bottle.

Here's the before:
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/momoowilly/DSCF0003.jpg

And the after:
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp107/momoowilly/Brew/DSCF0002-2.jpg

I would certainly do it again!:D

I do this with all of my beers I ferment generally for a week and secondary with the unflavored gelatin for another week then bottle. When i bottle it is pretty clear then 2 weeks in the bottle it is crystal clear with a very very thin amount of sediment. And the sediment seems to be a bit more solid so it doesnt mix easily with the beer when your pouring it. I dont use any other floccing agents.
good luck!

Just an update. Unfortunately, this technique did not work for me.

I used some gelatin (100 bloom type B) I picked up from my local brew store. I followed the instructions on the package, which called for dissolving 1 tbsp gelatin in 1 cup of water. I heated the solution to about 175 F, and when cooled, added to my beer in a secondary fermenter.

If there was a change in clarity, I could not tell. Since the beer tasted fine, I just went ahead and bottled (after about 6 days). Cloudy beer is better than no beer!

P.S. I did pick up some isinglass a few days after the gelatin treatment. I was unable to dissolve it after about 15 mins of constant stirring, so I skipped the isinglass treatment.

Gelatin is pretty much only effective on yeast (which time and cold will generally settle as well as gelatin anyway).

If you need to remove haze I would recommend PVPP and/or silica gel.

FYI: tsp is teaspoon and TBS is tablespoon...;)

I remove 2C (1 pint) of beer from the fermenter and heat it on the stove adding 1 TBS of gelatin finings from the HBS.

I heat it enough to dissolve then pour it the fermenter and place it in the cold. In this case outside overnight. The coldness coalgulates it so it works better.

From what I've read, boiling gelatin (not Jell-O) breaks it down to where it isn't effective.

I'm confused...except what looks like the remains of a krauzen ring in the first picture, that beer looks plenty clear to me.

I have never need to use finnings after boil day....I leave my beer in primary for a month, leave plenty of time to bottle condition and leave my beer iin the fridge for a week, and my beer is pristine. In fact it has been called "Jewel like" by judges, and that's without adding geletin or anything else.

I'm confused...except what looks like the remains of a krauzen ring in the first picture, that beer looks plenty clear to me.

I have never need to use finnings after boil day....I leave my beer in primary for a month, leave plenty of time to bottle condition and leave my beer iin the fridge for a week, and my beer is pristine. In fact it has been called "Jewel like" by judges, and that's without adding geletin or anything else.

I guess that makes you a "rough in the jewel"??? ;)

Where were all these "jewels" when I come to town?? :mug:

I guess that makes you a "rough in the jewel"??? ;)

Where were all these "jewels" when I come to town?? :mug:

Usually long drunk....inevitably the bottles that go to contests are the last ones in a batch.....sorry. :D

Additionally I am usually meeting you in Detroit, after work, and never think of actually bringing some beers for you UNTIL I have already driven an hour to Detroit to work..Maybe one day I'll get my **** together and plan it better. :D

I have to agree with Reevy on this . Its very hard to judge a beers clarity when its in a carboy. You are looking through a whole lot of beer and in that text this beer looks pretty good to me.

wort.jpg

How does adding gelatin in the keg work? Does it stay behind when you pour from the tap?

I add the gelitine in the carboy while its cold crashing if it needs it . I crash for 3-5 days so if its still not where I want it I add the gelatin at day two or three . Sorry that I didn't state it clearer :D .

But there are some that will add it to the keg it drops whatever is in suspension little cloudy first couple of pulls then she clears right up.

Latest posts

Back