i can't believe i am asking this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lex990

Reaction score
Ok, so for my first batch of beer this summer I want to make a beer that resembles bud light or busch light. Now before you pass out from the wind being knocked out of you here is why. My dad hates microbrews, but loves american domestics. Pretty much AB beers. I want to ask him to help me with my first brew as a father and son project and just for the help:). but i want him to be able to enjoy the beer we make, and this might just open him up to try other beers we make. So what is a good extract or parshall recipe that I could follow? I don't have all grain capabilities yet.

I suggest making a very very pale ale lightly hopped and it could bring you close to and even better than those brews.

Maybe 6# Extra Light DME

.5 Cascade at 60 min
.5 Cascade at 15 min

Some sort of american ale yeast

I agree but maybe go even lighter, like 5lbs DME. Add one pound just prior to the 60 minute hop addition, then add the remaining 4 pounds at the 15 minute hop addition. This will make the beer as light as possible in color. Use either Nottingham or US-05 dry yeasts for simplicity. The style is American Blonde and I always have something similar on tap during the Spring and Summer.

American Light Lager is one of the hardest styles to brew, believe it or not. The beer is so clean and transparent (not literally, figuratively) that any and all flaws are very noticeable.

RICLARK has the right idea---just be aware it won't be much like Bud or Busch. They're lagers; unless you have a way to keep your fermentation temps stable in the low 50's (f), you'll need to use the ale yeast that RICLARK mentions. Thus, it won't be as clean or crisp as a lager would. You also won't get a beer that's as light-colored by using extract. It just can't be done. Even the darkest of extracts have more color than you want for a pilsner.

Tht having been said---if you pitch an adequate amount of yeast (make a yeast starter!!!) and keep your fermentation temps in the low to mid 60's (f), it should be pretty low in esters/phenols and be a pretty good brew.

it depends heavily on whether or not you can maintain lager temperatures for the fermenting beer. if not then your best bet is something like a kolsch, if you can lager beer than you might dilute the pale malt extract with corn or rice syrup to lighten the body and color the way major American commercial breweries do. I dont have a specific recipe but a lot of home brew sites sell ingredient kits for lagers and kolsch type beers. even more important than the malt extracts and steeping grains (or lack thereof) you use is the yeast I wouldnt use anything but a lager or kolsch type liquid yeast to get the right character.

PM DeathBrewer about his cream ale. I've got a batch in the secondary right now, and it looks pretty light colored. It uses only 4 # of DME, but uses flaked wheat, flaked corn, Vienna Malt, and 2-row, too. I used Nottingham yeast since I didn't have lagering ability. If you omit the vienna malt and add 3/4 of the extra light DME with 15 min left in the boil (like BobbyM mentioned), it'll probably be even lighter.

Use a Kolsch yeast and brew a light bodied wort. I brew this for my large tiki parties and put a bud light label on the keg. No ones knows the diff.

Does your dad stick exclusively to light lagers, or has he tried somthing like Widmer or Pyramid hefeweizen. A wheat beer might be another option.

Good luck. Brewing a basic beer like you are just to spend time with Dad is respectable and getting him involved in the brewing process will probably open up his tastes a bit.

Lex-
I feel your pain when it comes to brewing a BL clone (the darker the better I say). I did the same type of brew for my dad the last time he came out to CA for a visit. I use a kolsch style yeast and after 2-3 months of lagering it turns out pretty close to an american light lager. So good luck with the brew nothing beats standing around a boiling pot sweet wort.

Yeah I know I have a cousin who I have been trying to school in the way of adequate beer drinking. Its easy in college to develop a "taste" for beers like Busch or Keystone or Bud but its easier than you think to break it as well. I know with my cousin I just had him try some light hefes and blondes (Sam Summer, Blue Moon, etc) and that got him into trying more adventurous beers like Bass Ale and stuff. Like McK said, brewing will open up his palate, but definitely have him try some lighter stuff first. Itd suck to brew a ****ty light lager due to difficulty of temp maitenance and stuff when you can much more easily brew a blonde or hefe with little difficulty.

Now I know it's not a popular answer but why not brew a beer you like and buy the BMC for those who like it.
It'll be the "real" thing and probably be cheaper.

Some things are just not meant to be homebrewed!

ok so it doesn't have to be a straight up BL clone.. but everytime i have him try any micro brew his response is"blah i don't like those heavy beers". so if i could make something that isn't strong and a crisp clean finish i would be down with that

Lex, there are all kinds of homebrew recipes available on this site that fit the bill. Try checking out the 'American Ale' section in the recipes. Here's a few popular ones;

Bee Cave Brewery Haus Ale
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793

Centennial Blonde
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

I believe that both of those threads have the extract conversion done for you. I've made both of these and they appeal to a wide audience, especially those who are used to BMC.

I would say that your best bet is a Kölsch, or perhaps an American wheat. Both light in body and taste. Maybe try Googling "Lawnmower Beer" and see what comes up........

You can make a clear, light beer but it will take some extra time. I've used these tricks.

One thing to consider is substituting rice solids for your malt extract. Using about half rice and half barley malt will get you a very light color. But rice solids really need a while to settle. I would put it in a second stage for a few weeks to let it clear, and then siphon it very carefully.

And skip steeping grains altogether - it is virtually impossible to use them without picking up some color. However, skipping steeping grains makes is almost certain that you need to let your brew condition in the bottle for at least a good month before you get a decent head.

I'd say the recipe in JZ's book for Cream Ale would be perfect for you. It has rice syrup in it, which should keep things light and dry. You can use a Kolsch yeast or US-05. Blonde Ale is a good choice as well, with a little light crystal in it for some extra flavor.

3.5# Extra Light Dry Extract
2 # Rice Extract Syrup
1 ounce Hallertau (3.6% AAU) for 60 minutes
Safale-05 American Dry Yeast

OG = 1.039
FG = 1.005
ABV = 4.5%
IBU's = 15.4
Estimated Color = 4.2

I made AHB's Gold Seal Extract Kit for a blonde for my boyfriend and it was VERY light. It had slight floral esthers, but was overall very pleasant if you like light light light beer. It's also inexpensive and easy to make. I used distilled water.

I would say that your best bet is a Kölsch, or perhaps an American wheat. Both light in body and taste. Maybe try Googling "Lawnmower Beer" and see what comes up........

Speaking of a good Kolsch. Edwort's Kolsch as brewed by EvilTOJ was pretty good IMO, and I personally think a BMC drinker would probably find it acceptable.

Note: This is an AG recipe and would need to be converted to extract.

One thing I've noticed and of course there are exceptions to every rule. If you are a keystone, busch light, natty light drinker then the darks, wheats, browns are not something you drink. Same goes the opposite, the two rarely combine. You may convert or "graduate" to different beers but you rarely see someone drinking a keystone one day and a northern porter the next.

One thing I've noticed and of course there are exceptions to every rule. If you are a keystone, busch light, natty light drinker then the darks, wheats, browns are not something you drink. Same goes the opposite, the two rarely combine. You may convert or "graduate" to different beers but you rarely see someone drinking a keystone one day and a northern porter the next.

ah but i am your rarity lol. Floating down the river when it is in the high 90's i take miller light or rolling rock to get wasted on. Now with dinner or a drink or 2 after work or chatting with friends, i will always reach for a porter or stout. winter time, i like most winter warmers, but shy away from light beers to darker heavy beers. depends on the season and my mood, but i can count on one hand the number of beers i have had that i don't like and can't drink. sam adams cherry, sam adams cranberry. and i am not big on strong hefe's other than that, bring me a beer. if you are buying i don't care if it is a beast ice. but would prefer a cadillac mountain stout

Back