Forgot To Add Dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FREHAND

Reaction score
I was doing to many things at once yesterday, cooking ribs, beans, beer, and um...drinking plenty of HB. I got done with the beer, was putting it into my fermenter, tested the gravity and noticed that it was unusually low,(1.028). This morning I remembered that my roommate was showing someone the kit and had taken the 3 lbs. of DME out and I had not put that into the wort. I checked the bucket this morning and it is bubbling nicely, but I'm afraid that the beer is going to be to weak. Anything I can or should do?

FREHAND said:
I was doing to many things at once yesterday, cooking ribs, beans, beer, and um...drinking plenty of HB. I got done with the beer, was putting it into my fermenter, tested the gravity and noticed that it was unusually low,(1.028). This morning I remembered that my roommate was showing someone the kit and had taken the 3 lbs. of DME out and I had not put that into the wort. I checked the bucket this morning and it is bubbling nicely, but I'm afraid that the beer is going to be to weak. Anything I can or should do?

I had the same issue on my first brew, I called the Lhbs the next day and they said to Boil the Dme in some water for 15 mins cool and put it into the fermenter. I did that and it turned out fine, downside is that you will not know what your gravity will be.

Boil it up in a small amount of water, cool it to 70°, add it to the fermenter. It just needs a short boil, 10 minutes or so to sterilize it. You may end up with a beer that's still a bit weaker than intended (since you've presumably already topped off to 5 gallons, and now you'll be adding more volume), but you'll be pretty close. If you've got plenty of room in the fermeter, I'd thinking you could boil that up in about a gallon of water (too much less water, you're apt to scorch; don't OVERboil this).

Thank you very much!!! That's what I thought I should do but wanted a little more knowlegdeable advice.

asometimes people do this when making barley wines and the like to help the yeast not get overwhelmed. You have basically just gotten your yeast ready to take on the rest of the wort. One thing though, make sure that you do not aerate this second wort addition. Adding oxygen is a must, but not after fermentation has started. The yeast are done with the O2, and at this point it could cause oxidation problems.

If you follow the advice above you'll be fine. You can determine your OG like so:

5 gallons of 1.028 = 140 gravity points (28*5)
1 gallon of 1.108 = 108 gravity points (108*1)
total = 6 gallons with 248 gravity points
248/6 = 41 gravity points = 6 gallons of 1.041

(this is just an example)

Back